cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos 7d

Lindseysa
Apprentice

I've had my 7d for a few years and have been thinking of buying the 16-35mm f/4L lens.  As the 7d isn't full frame, will this lens work as I've heard that you can only start using it at 20mm.

Also, has anyone any feedback on the Eos 6d?  I take mainly landscape photos and work a lot in low light.  Any help would be appreciated

37 REPLIES 37

Peter
Authority
Authority

@Lindseysa wrote:

I've had my 7d for a few years and have been thinking of buying the 16-35mm f/4L lens.  As the 7d isn't full frame, will this lens work as I've heard that you can only start using it at 20mm.

Also, has anyone any feedback on the Eos 6d?  I take mainly landscape photos and work a lot in low light.  Any help would be appreciated

What do you mean? From my 7D and the display. It reports 16 mm to my camera. If you mean the crop factor that would make it looks like 26 mm, read this:

"Because these sensors are 1.6x smaller than film, they show an area equivalent to the area shown by a lens 1.6x as long on 35mm film.

A 100mm lens on one of these cameras shows the same area of view that a 160mm lens would show on a 35mm film or full-frame camera."

I haven´t used my 6D and 16-35/4L IS together so much, but what I have seen this far is that the unsharp corners and the cromatic aberration that I had from my 17-40/4L are gone.

VRAM4.jpg

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Lindseysa wrote:

The EOS 6D is an excellent camera for shooting landscapes, and other still life scenes.  I enjoy shooting landscapes, too.  My favorite camera/lens combination for landscapes is the 6D and the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM lens.  I shoot most of my landscapes at f/5.6.  The only time I shoot wide open with the lens is indoors, without a flash.  I think f/4 is just fine for landscapes.  I also use a tripod most of the time.

One a full frame camera, a 16-35mm lens has a very wide angle of view, but not so much on an APS-C sensor body camera like the 7D.  How well the 16-35mm would work on your 7D is pretty subjective.  You should get great photos with it.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Lindseysa wrote:

The 7D has a 1.6X crop factor, so the 16-35mm f/4L has a field of view equivalent to a 26mm - 55mm lens on a full frame camera.

If you'd like a Ultra-Wide Angle lens for your 7D, get the EF-S 10-18mm IS STM. You'll be very pleased and have saved a tone of money.  The 10-18mm IS STM has a field of view equivalent to a 16mm - 29mm lens on a full frame camera

"I take mainly landscape photos and work a lot in low light."

I doubt the 6D will help.  I would stick with your 7D.  There seems to be this 'labeling' going on as to what a certain camera can photograph. It is mostly nonsense.  However you do need to get into a wider AOV lens for more ease at landscapes.  But I have shot landscapes with a 150mm lens, so much for that.

The Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens is a possibility.  But I would rather opt for the incredible Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens.  Another outstanding choice would be the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens.  It may be the sharpest lens in that focal length.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have a 7D, and I have utilized the 16-35 F4, I found it to be a good combination, However the new 16-35 F2.9L III is phenomenal

Keep in mind the crop factor on your camera.

16mm isn't ultra-wide angle on a crop camera.

Fish-eye lenses will have distortion that you are probably not looking for.

The EF-S 10-18 IS STM lens is the best lens for your camera and your needs.

Don't be fooled into believing that spending more money will give you better image quality. Canon's STM lenses have great image quality, at prices that seem to good to be true. But, be assured Canon STM lenses are the real deal. 

@TTMartin wrote:

Keep in mind the crop factor on your camera.

16mm isn't ultra-wide angle on a crop camera.

Fish-eye lenses will have distortion that you are probably not looking for.

The EF-S 10-18 IS STM lens is the best lens for your camera and your needs.

Don't be fooled into believing that spending more money will give you better image quality. Canon's STM lenses have great image quality, at prices that seem to good to be true. But, be assured Canon STM lenses are the real deal. 

The EF 8-15mm Zoom Fisheye, is a very different lens on an APS-C sensor body compared to a full frame.  

As good as the image quality may be with the EF-S 10-18mm, I would still prefer the internal focusing and zooming, and the wider zoom range and overall better build of the EF-S 10-22mm lens.

"Fish-eye lenses will have distortion that you are probably not looking for."

Yeah, just like this shot.

IMG_2025.jpg

Canon 7D, 8-15mm f4L @ f16, SS 1/400, ISO 100

"Don't be fooled into believing ..."

Right, don't be.  The 10-18mm is not an 'L' lens no matter how much folks want it to be.  No ef-s lens is an 'L'. Never wil be.  However, if the 10-18mm fills the bill, I agree, there is no good reason to spend more money that won't offer anything in return.

Lenses are a total package and as such should be treated that way.  You do need to consider it all.  Price, build, reliable, repairable, and, yes image quality, etc.  All of it.

Proverb:  Buy the best and cry once!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Fish-eye lenses will have distortion that you are probably not looking for."

Yeah, just like this shot.

IMG_2025.jpg

@Canon 7D, 8-15mm f4L @ f16, SS 1/400, ISO 100

[deleted]

Proverb:  Buy the best and cry once!

That shot is exactly what I mean.  The EF 8-15mm Zoom fisheye is a very different lens, period.  It is not your average zoom.

Announcements