cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos 5d mark ii lcd and view finder not working

Tim7DM2
Contributor

Screenshot_20230927-181706~2.png

 Purchased an older 5d mark ii with a lcd and view finder issue. Could someone take a look at the picture of the lcd and give an ideal of where to start trouble shooting this issue. I have very little invested in this camera and it is merely a project if anything. Shutter works correctly but no way to access any functions due to screen issue.  To my knowledge this type of screen would lead me to believe it could be a internal connection issue. Thought of maybe purchasing external monitor to see if it aquires a view then? Then maybe that would direct my trouble shooting in the right direction. This project is for learning purposes and a plus if it can be fixed I would have an extra full frame camera. 

3 REPLIES 3

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

What do you by the viewfinder doesn't work its an optical viewfinder. When the lens cap is off you should see everything that the lens sees.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

This is the what the screen on lcd displays and the and top view finder view displays the same image. The image looks as if it doesnt see anything? And the settings and functions should be accessible either way shouldn't they? 

Do you mean top LCD screen on the right side of the camera behind the shutter button. The viewfinder is optical not electronic like a mirrorless camera. Can you not see anything in the viewfinder at all? The viewfinder ONLY shows you what the lens sees. This is NOT a mirrorless camera. A mirrorless camera uses an Electronic Viewfinder and you CAN see the menu with it. But this IS NOT possible with a DSLR camera. The viewfinder in a DSLR camera uses a mirror to bounce light up to the viewfinder. This system DOES NOT EXIST in mirrorless camera.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Announcements