cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entry-Level DSLR Cameras for Broadcast Journalism and Multimedia Journalism

umdterps2020
Contributor
I have been taking photos on my smartphone for quite some time since 2011, and I am considering to buy my own camera. I am interested in buying an entry-level DSLR. I want to be able to take photo stills and shoot video. I am currently a student in college majoring in broadcast journalism. I intend to pursue a career in broadcast journalism where I must utilize all forms of multimedia journalism (photo/audio/video). I am taking an intro to multimedia storytelling course were I am learning the basics and how to use editing software (i.e: Photoshop, Adobe Auditions, Final Cut and Premiere Pro). I am looking for an entry-level DSLR to use for multimedia journalism purposes for my career and also for everyday use. This will be my first time buying a DSLR, and I have no experience with that type of camera. I am a novice. I do want to learn how to use a DSLR. I am looking for one that has a manual and a video tutorial. I am also looking for an affordable DSLR (I have a limited budget. So, I cannot afford anything towards $1,000 or more), but can still do the same things on other cameras like the D800, Mark II & III, and the K-3. What entry-level DSLR camera would be right for me and for those that are entering broadcast journalism and multimedia journalism?

14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here you go. Made just for the exact requirements you have stated. The Canon Rebel T5i with lens kit.

Rebel T5i at B&H  <----click me

Rebel T5i at Adorama <--- click me

Later as you grow and learn you will want to upgrade to the Canon 5D Mk III or even the 1D x.  Both are several thousand dollars and the best there is in the industry. But for right now the Rebel T5i is a very capable outfit and will serve you well for less than your $1000 dollar budget. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hello ebiggs1,

Thank you for answering my question. How does the Canon Rebel T5i fits my requirements besides the financial cost?

It will do everything and amateur will ever need. It will do everything a person learning the trade will need.

It is not as robust as the 5D Mk III. Using a plastic body vs an all metal body for the 5D or 1D x. Plus there are some extra features that the 5D Mk II and/or the 1D x have that lends them to full on pro work.

As you develop, you will certainly want to upgrade to one of those cameras. If you had a $4000 or $8000 budget I would suggest you go for one of them. You confined me to suggesting a camera on a more modest budget of $1000.

But don't think for a minute the T5i is not up to the task. It is a very capable camera.

EB

Do you know any semi-pro DSLR that will be good for what I am looking? Anything beyond the t5i that will suit my needs? Thanks.

"...  I cannot afford anything towards $1,000 or more), ..."  Smiley Frustrated

This requirement just about limits your choice to a T5i kit, or a T3i.  But I recommend you go the T5i route instead of a T3i.

In Canon'ees, the Rebel line is the amateur level.  But the T5i is at the top and has many "pro" features.

Next comes their xxD line IE 60D, 70D, etc.  It is a prosumer level and quite good at it.  The xD series is next.

These cameras are all but professional grade.  In fact many "pros" use this line of Canon cameras.

But the flagship, no compromise, no holds barred, is the 1 series, currently the 1Dx.

The problem is as you progress up this hierarchy of offerings the price goes up along too.  The 1Dx is nearly $7000 dollars without a lens.Smiley Surprised

Unless you can go used, it is going to be tough to say under a grand for any of the upper cameras outside the Rebel line.

The T5i will do as much as you want until you are in a position to get a full on pro body.

A word about used, have you considered it?  It is possible to get a used 1 D Mk III in great shape for under a $1000 bucks.

They are nearly indestructible.  The old saying is, you could beat somebody to death with one and than take the crime scene photos with it. You probably can't get it and a lens for under a grand but close if you could squeeze a few more bucks out.

EB

I am looking at t5i, but also the 70d and 60D. I haven't considered a used 1D MK II, but I am willing to check it out. Where can I find one?

Not a 1D Mk 2 but a Mk 3.
Try KEH. They have good deals at reasonable prices. Plus return rights.
EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:
Not a 1D Mk 2 but a Mk 3.
Try KEH. They have good deals at reasonable prices. Plus return rights.

Those return rights are going to come in handy when he finds out that it doesn’t shoot video or audio.

umdterps2020,

I would focus on video when choosing a camera.  I’m sure you’re branch outside of photojournalism, but since this is your main focus for the photography component you really don’t need to worry about getting the latest and greatest options out there.  Photojournalism is the one area of photography that doesn’t need anything fancy.  It’s about documenting what you see.  Get something convenient and reliable.

For the video side I’d look at either a T3i or T5i.  The T3i being very popular with video enthusiasts, but you need to use Magic Lantern.  If that doesn’t sound like your cup of tea, then go for the T5i.  I’m also tempted to recommend looking at the 7D, but it is getting really dated.  It has great video, a dated but still impressive autofocus system, and you get some weather sealing and professional features.  If you could find a good used one it might be a good option for you.

I am looking at t5i and other prosumer cameras that will fit my needs in doing video for broadcast journalism. Some of the Canon cameras use magic lantern. Supported Cameras for Magic Lantern as of 04/01/2014: 5Dc, 5D2, 5D3, 6D, 7D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 500D (T1i), 550D (T2i), 600D (T3i), 650D (T4i), 700D (T5i), 1100D (T3), EOS M, 100D (SL1). But, let me know of additional suggestions for video besides the rebel line up that will fit my needs. Thanks.

Announcements