cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS and 70D

terrimoellers
Apprentice

I am trying to use my iphone hotspot as my wifi. i have the laptop and camera on it but when it comes to pairing the camera and laptop i don't know how to do that. I click on the pairing icon but nothing happens. Can you help?

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@terrimoellers wrote:

I am trying to use my iphone hotspot as my wifi. i have the laptop and camera on it but when it comes to pairing the camera and laptop i don't know how to do that. I click on the pairing icon but nothing happens. Can you help?

You're trying to connect your phone to two different devices, from what I gather.  I don't think that's how it is supposed to work. You're trying to use your phone like a wireless router.  Either use a wireless router, or connect the laptop and phone directly, which you probably cannot do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@terrimoellers wrote:

You're trying to connect your phone to two different devices, from what I gather.  I don't think that's how it is supposed to work. You're trying to use your phone like a wireless router.  Either use a wireless router, or connect the laptop and phone directly, which you probably cannot do.

It's not unusual for a phone to be able to serve as a wireless router, but in this case all it needs to do is serve as an access point. Both the camera and the laptop would be configured as WiFi clients, getting their IP addresses from the phone, which would then be able to talk to both the camera and the laptop. Whether the camera and the laptop can talk to each other depends on the sophistication of the software in the phone, but it's straightforward in principle. That said, it's not uncommon for an access point to be configured so as to prevent its clients from talking to each other, especially if the access point is "open" and doesn't talk to its clients over an encrypted link.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements