cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS SL1 auto focus doesn't work. Seems to happen on hot days

Bankesmom1
Enthusiast

My Rebel SL1 with a Tamron telephoto lens won't auto focus on warm days.  It will sometimes work at close focus, but when zooming in, it won't auto focus. Does anyone have an answer to this.  Same thing happened last year, but my local camera shop could give me no answers.  It was the shop where I purchased the camera, and I was disappointed with their response.  The weather has warmed up, I wanted to take pictures at a grandson's baseball game and no autofocus.  Frustrating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

And it will continue that way if you keep listening to all the mishmash of suggestions. You need to go back to the basics. The SL1 can provide great photos but you need to set it up correctly. I will almost guarantee you AI-servo is one setting that is working against you as is using more than one focus point is a bad idea.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

71 REPLIES 71

Your lens is the problem. The lens is switch to MF for some reason. Even when you say it's set to AF.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

@Bankesmom1 wrote:

...I'm still baffled why it has worked for years, and all of a sudden does not.  I'm thinking that it is getting to be time to upgrade. 

Most likely it is something you changed that has caused the problems you are seeing... not anything wrong with the camera or lens.

I agree with a previous response to get out of the highly automated "Sports" mode. Sure, use one of the auto exposure modes (Av, Tv or P)... that way you still get some automation. But you are now free to set up the AF system to better suit your needs.

Why is this important? Well, your camera has nine AF points. But they are not all the same. The point in the center is more sensitive and higher performance than the eight points surrounding it. If you switch your camera to Single Point AF and use only that center point, you will have MUCH better results than if you leave it to the camera to decide which point to use (as it is probably doing when in Sports mode).

You also want to set the autofocus to "AI Servo" mode. This is necessary with moving subjects. it focuses continuously when the shutter release button is half pressed. (Note, a technique many sports photographers use is called Back Button Focus... it is possible to set this up, using a button under your thumb to start and stop AF instead of the shutter release... but for now just stick with what you know.)

Now it is on you to keep that center AF point right on the subject, right where you want the camera and lens to focus. In the future most "missed focus" issues will be your fault, not the camera's or lens'.

I don't have that Tamron lens and would never buy a lens of that type (I have never found ultra wide ranging zooms to be very good). I don't know if it is very fast focusing or not. Canon's fastest focusing lenses have "USM" or "ultrasonic" focusing motor. Their "STM" or "stepper motor" is also reasonably quick, but not as fast as USM. Worst is "micro motor" (Canon lenses not labelled USM or STM).

Tamron calls that a "PZD" lens. According to one website that stands for "piezo ultrasonic focus drive". I have no idea if this is same as Canon USM or not. Even if it were, with f/6.3 aperture at the telephoto end of that lens, it simply is not sending a lot of light through the lens for the AF sensors to work with. For example, a lens with f/2.8 aperture passes twice as much light as one with an f/4 aperture. And an f/4 aperture passes twice as much as an f/5.6. In other words, an f/2.8 lens passes 4X as much light as an f/5.6 lens... and your lens is 1/3 stop dimmer than f/5.6 so doesn't even pass that much. Here's a breakdown of how much light is passed by full f-stops:

• f/1.0... 100%
  • f/1.4... 50%
  • f/2.0... 25%
  • f/2.8... 12.5%
  • f/4.0... 6.25%
  • f/5.6... 3.125%
  • f/8.0... 1.5625%

So your lens is only passing about 3% of the light in front of it! In addition, DSLRs use mirrors to redirect light... part to the viewfinder (70%) and part to the AF sensors (30%). So in truth your camera's AF sensors are working with only about 1% of the light in any scene you're photographing! (FYI: Modern mirrorless cameras have AF sensors embedded directly in their imaging sensors... no mirrors redirecting some of the light. Therefore they're able to autofocus effectively in much dimmer light and with lenses that have smaller apertures.)

Another possibility... You mentioned losing focus when "zooming". I would bet that your Tamron zoom is a "varifocal" design. This means the lens doesn't maintain focus when the focal length is changed. If your camera is in One Shot mode when that happens, you have to consciously re-focus after any "zooming" by lifting off the shutter button and re-applying half-press. Otherwise focus will probably be off, even with stationary subjects. However, if your camera is in AI Servo focus mode, it will automatically and quickly correct for any loss of focus caused by   zooming. This is yet another reason to get out of the highly automated "scene" modes like Sports and take control of the AF system yourself. Once you set it to AI Servo it will stay there until you change it (and if you learn to use Back Button Focusing, you may never need to change it).

There is a third AF mode on your camera: AI Focus. NEVER USE IT. This is more automation. It is not an actual 3rd AF mode. Instead the camera is supposed to detect whether your subject is moving or not, then depending upon what it thinks is happening, switch to using either AI Servo (moving subjects) or One Shot (stationary subjects). I experimented with it ages ago and found it caused a delay, sometimes chose the wrong mode, or failed to switch if a subject started or stopped moving while I was focusing upon them. I stopped using it and immediately increased my in-focus keepers by a large margin. P.S. It might tell us something that Canon's most pro-oriented cameras don't even have AI Focus mode... they only have One Shot and AI Servo.

I wouldn't be too quick to upgrade. But if you do, you might want to look into lenses before you worry about the camera they are used upon. If you do the above, take control of AF yourself, you will see improvement even with your current lenses. It will be even better if you get a good, fast lenses like an EF 70-200mm f/2.8 or f/4, 300mm f/4, etc. with larger apertures and faster USM focus drive. 

It is possible something is wrong with the lens... maybe even the camera. But it's more likely something the photographer has done wrong! Hopefully the above will help you get to the bottom of it.

NOTE: I saw another response told you to use One Shot mode. That's 100% incorrect with sports photography where the subjects are often moving. You MUST use AI Servo if you hope to have them in focus. But you also still need to take control of the AF system... not leave it to the camera with a "point and pray" technique! 

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

I cannot thank you enough for your lengthy response to my  questions.  You truly listened to what I am trying to do with the camera and lens.  I've set the camera to Single Point AF, and went to Al Servo mode for continuous shooting.  There's another game tonight, so I'm going to try these things.  But I have a feeling that they are going to work.  Thanks also for your suggestion of the better lens for sports photography.  I am seriously considering upgrading to a mirrorless, and the new lens with the  mirrorless capability should give me some great results.  Thank you again!

I tried everything that you suggested and still had many instances last night when it wouldn't change focus if moving to a different area of the field.  So frustrating!!!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Bankesmom1 wrote:

My Rebel SL1 with a Tamron telephoto lens won't auto focus on warm days.  It will sometimes work at close focus, but when zooming in, it won't auto focus. Does anyone have an answer to this.  Same thing happened last year, but my local camera shop could give me no answers.  It was the shop where I purchased the camera, and I was disappointed with their response.  The weather has warmed up, I wanted to take pictures at a grandson's baseball game and no autofocus.  Frustrating.

If the camera will not “close focus”, then you may need to verify the Minimum Focus Distance.  The MFD should be written on the lens somewhere.  If not, look the specs up online.

Please note, the listed MFD for the lens is only valid at the minimum zoom setting.  As you increase the focal length, the MFD will also increase by an amount manufacturers do not like to reveal.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I don't have issues with the lens auto focusing at close distances.  Only at far.  For instance, I can auto focus on a batter in the on deck circle, but not at the plate, or anything beyond, ie infield or outfield.  When I first start out taking pictures, things are good, but then after a while the auto focus stops working.  Thanks for your questions and maybe being able to help me out.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If this is the 150-600, sometimes I need to "kick-start" it by focusing on something closer, and then focusing back on my subject.

It's the 18-270 mm F/3.5-6.3.  Some times if I turn off the camera and turn it back on it might work, but after a few tries, even that stops working so I have to go to manual focus.  That doesn't work if I'm taking shots in sports mode to catch the action.  Thanks for your question and maybe being able to help me out.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Causation requires that there is an association between two variables, but association does not necessarily imply causation. Meaning are you sure it is warm or hot weather that causes the AF problem? How much shooting do you do in cold or cooler weather?

"...sometimes I need to "kick-start" it by focusing on something closer, ..."

I have also seen this phenomenon in some off brand lenses. You may want to try this. Minimum focus distance can also be a factor. Objects in the way of the focus point can fool the AF system.

The thing I would doubt is warm weather causing it.

Tyr this..........

I would reset your camera to default settings. I would make sure you have a good fully charged Canon brand battery. Do not use off brand batteries. It could be as simple as a faulty battery especially in warm (hot) weather.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Warm weather causes it since that is the time when you are more likely out taking photos!

8^)

click here to view the gallery
Announcements