cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XSi not triggering ring flash

inventorgeorge
Contributor

I am doing some very closeup work with my Rebel xsi. Due to lens shadowing, I need to use a ring flash, connected through the hot shoe. The camera works 100%, as does the ring flash. however, no matter how I set the camera, the flash is not triggered. Using menu, and going to flash control, all items there give me an error message saying that the flash is not compatible.

Is there any way to force the camera to trigger a non-Canon, not "compatible" ring flash unit?

14 REPLIES 14

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Is this ring lite macro flash a manual flash or a flash that supports E-TTL (auto flash). Also what brand of macro flash. Canon IS NOT responsible for making 3rd Party items work with its own cameras.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

inventorgeorge
Contributor

The flash is a Ploture Ring flash. I got it from Amazon. The manual [if it can even be called that] says nothing about triggering. I am not looking for Canon to do anything for me in this matter, I am only hoping someone who knows a lot more about this than I do will have some ideas.

What is the model number of that particular macro flash unit. It could simply be incompatible. Also non-Canon flash units won't fire in live view. So disable silent shooting in live view.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Third party non-ETTL flash units are not compatible with Canon’s in-camera Flash Menu system. Additionally, Rebel series DSLR cameras can not fire non-ETTL flash units while using LiveView. 

As long as you use the hot shoe to trigger the flash, and you DON’T use LiveView, your Ring Flash should work with your Rebel XSi.

EDIT: I just looked up “Ploture Ring Flash”. It is not a real Ring Flash. It appears to be just a bunch of LED lights shaped in a circle. It has a very low light output, and many reviews say it is difficult to make work. I would advise you to return it, or at least read all the negative reviews to see if you can better understand it’s limitations. (many reviewers say you need to use 1/30 or 1/60 shutter speed to get the “flash” to sync with the photo)

Mike Sowsun

" It is not a real Ring Flash. It appears to be just a bunch of LED lights shaped in a circle."

So you're saying it is NOT a flash at all?

I do believe a bunch of LEDs arranged in a circle is the description of a ring flash. Unless they are constant-on lights rather than "flash" lights. You really can't tell anything from the Amazon listing.

For $43.99 you do get what you pay for. Not much.

“I do believe a bunch of LEDs arranged in a circle is the description of a ring flash. Unless they are constant-on lights rather than "flash" lights. You really can't tell anything from the Amazon listing.”

A bunch of LED lights arranged in a circle is a description of a Ring Light, not a Ring Flash.

This unit has options to act as both a Constant light source, and a brief “flash” light source. LED bulbs can’t really “flash”. They act exactly the same way as the “flash” on your cell phone. They just illuminate briefly and they can’t freeze movement like a true flash. From the reviews I read online, the “flash” is the same intensity as the constant lighting. The reviews also said the “flash” was difficult to sync with the shutter speed. (many reviewers say you need to use 1/30 or 1/60 shutter speed to get the “flash” to sync with the photo) (the same “ring flash” is also sold under many other names so there are lots of reviews to look at) (Ploture, Polaroid, Neewer, MegaPower, etc.)

Mike Sowsun

Well we can argue semantics until the cows come home, apparently.

Round macro flashes are called ring lights (see B&H site) and ring lights are called flashes. The ones that have a continuous mode as well as flash mode are called ring lights and ring flashes. 

@normadel wrote:

Well we can argue semantics until the cows come home, apparently.

Round macro flashes are called ring lights (see B&H site) and ring lights are called flashes. The ones that have a continuous mode as well as flash mode are called ring lights and ring flashes. 

The point I was trying to make is that LED bulbs can not flash, so it can’t be called a Ring Flash. 
It has constant light LED bulbs with and option to make a brief 1/2 second illumination to imitate a flash. 

240FD9DF-93B0-464D-823C-6DD3DE2C8981.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

inventorgeorge
Contributor

Whatever you call it, the Ring thing I have, when I press the button that says "pilot" [I haven't the foggiest what they mean by pilot, but the Chinese are famous for mangling our language] I get a high intensity strobe light flash. I used a light sensor and an oscilloscope, and I measured the light output as lasting about 20 milliseconds. I call that a flash, not a light.

The unit I have does not have a continuous mode. The control unit is, of course mounted on the hot shoe. The bottom line, though, is that I cannot get it to strobe, light, flash or output light in any form.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements