cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T8i previewing exposures longer than 30 seconds

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Let's say I want to take a long exposure in bulb mode. This exposure will take 1 minute, or 2 minutes, or 4 minutes - something that will go beyond the 30 second limit in manual mode.

Will I see what my anticipated exposure looks like on the LCD screen in Exposure Simulation before taking my shot?

Or do I just have to take the shot and review the results afterward?

If this is not the proper forum for this type of question, just let me know.

Steve Thomas

14 REPLIES 14

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You use an exposure app or a table. The nice thing is that at long exposures you don't have to be that accurate. Between 4 and 8 minutes is one stop, so between 3 and 5 will yield pretty much the same exposure.

kvbarkley,

You wrote, "You use an exposure app or a table. The nice thing is that at long exposures you don't have to be that accurate. Between 4 and 8 minutes is one stop, so between 3 and 5 will yield pretty much the same exposure."

Hmmm...    Hadn't thought of that. Lot's of flexibility in there.

I tested it out this morning. The Exposure Simulation didn't appear to be working in Bulb Mode using remote shooting either. Once you hit that 30" ceiling, you're on your own 😀

The Bulb Timer function is still pretty neat though. The app handles closing the shutter for you. 

Steve Thomas

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is it just a matter of numerous trials and errors?"

Yes, but it is also from experience. Keep in mind at one time we didn't have any 'auto' anything. Amazingly we still got the shots. When you select bulb in your Rebel this is the same thing as full manual. Guess what after a few trials and screw-ups you will learn. Plus you don't have to burn expensive film to do so like we did.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

May I suggest you find the manual online and download it on your phone and/or laptop as I did for my T7? This should answer many questions as I found I the beginning. Be aware mine is 326 pages but it is a lifesaver when needing information on the T7.

Welcome to the community. There is a trainload of information, experience and expertise here.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

John,

Thank you. I did that many eons ago and use it virtually every day. Mine is 775 pages long.

My initial question was camera irrespective. Someone else (and I don't know who) came along and changed the Thread title.

Steve Thomas

Announcements