cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 screen and viewfinder not showing changes when adjusting exposure in low light.

Kepa
Contributor

I was out taking pictures of the Milky Way last night with the R5.  Normally, as expected, I can see changes in my viewfinder and/or screen when changing exposures settings.  Everything was working as expected while taking shots during golden and blue hours.  When it got darker, I was no longer able to see the changes in my viewfinder and/or screen when adjusting exposure. If I take the shot, I can see a well exposed photo so it is only a problem with previewing my shots.  This condition makes it hard to compose so I end up adjusting camera position after taking a shot so I can see where it is shooting.  On another forum, some have suggested enabling/disabling Exp Sim.  Tried that, but it does not fix the problem.

I usually use my R6 Mark II for astro photography and all works fine no matter how dark it gets. 

Unfortunately, I am on a trip and I only took my R5 with me.  We are currently in a new moon phase (no moon) and it is prime for shooting astro.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

If this used to work as you expected, try resetting camera settings and custom functions back to default. The manual page I posted above states that there are certain conditions where exposure simulation is disabled, so it may be normal for this camera.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried using the Depth of Field preview button to see if that helps?

Thanks, I will give that a try tonight.  However, mirrorless cameras should be able to do this without using DoF preview.  My R6 Mark II and my friend's EOS R can do it (without using DoF preview).  I truly think this is an actual issue.  I may end up having to send my camera in for repair.  This capability is essential for astro photography and other R5 users have been able to do this.  I normally use the R6 Mark II for astro and use my R5 for wildife.  Should have brought my R6 Mk II with me on this trip!  Live and learn!

Anonymous
Not applicable

See this from the camera's manual concerning exposure simulation:

Screenshot 2023-10-15 152000.jpg

Thanks!  I did see this in the manual.  With my R6 Mk II I can see the changes in exposure in the screen and viewfinder as I change the settings even in no moon conditions.  This is essential so that you can see your composition and also to make sure you are pointed at your target (in my case, the Milky Way) before taking the shot.  I think this may be an issue because every camera, even the EOS R, can do this.  I was just hoping that someone may know a solution as I am on a trip, specifically to do astro photography with another photographer.  I am able to get shots, but I have to take a shot, look at the photo, then change camera position as necessary until I get my composition.

“ … When it got darker, I was no longer able to see the changes in my viewfinder and/or screen when adjusting exposure. “

It is not clear what “changes” you are referring to.  Are you referring exposure simulation?  Or, are you referring to the exposure numerical displays and icons?

Exposure Simulation is described above.  If you press the [INFO] button a few times you will change what exposure numerical information and icons are displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Kepa
Contributor

Hi Wadizzle,

The changes I am referring to is seeing the what the exposure looks like in the screen and/or viewfinder as you make changes to exposure settings.  In other words, when it looks dark in the screen and you change, say, ISO, you will see it lighten up when setting a higher ISO.  You will see the change in the screen or viewfinder.  When I am taking pictures during the day, this is occurring normally as expected, however, as evening comes and it gets darker, the changes are not reflected on the screen/viewfinder.  Again, I shoot astro and normally see these changes even in no moon conditions.  All those that shoot astro can attest to this.  As stated before, my R6 Mk II and EOS R does this.  I know the R5 can do it because there are many photographers that use the R5 to do astro.  Oh, and its the actual display, not the numerical information.  The numerical info and icons are operating as usual.  I know what exposure simulation is and this is not a problem with this feature.  It only happens when it gets to a certain level of darkness in the evening.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If this used to work as you expected, try resetting camera settings and custom functions back to default. The manual page I posted above states that there are certain conditions where exposure simulation is disabled, so it may be normal for this camera.

Yes, I am at that point.  It was my last resort, but I have to give a try.

Kepa
Contributor

Okay, so problem solved.  I reset the camera as 5DIV suggested.  All is good.  Now to re-do all my custom settings.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements