cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T8i How to maintain focus when lighting changes; lens recommendations

Diakara
Contributor

I take vidoes of my husbands bands I have my camera and lens on auto focus but when the lights are bright it randomly unfocuses amd refocuses. If its alittle darker with the different color lights flashing i dont have this problem.  The camera is either set on the "A" with a square around it or scn. Im assuming scn means scene?? But not sure how to change to different scenes or which one would be appropriate. Im new to this and could use some advice. I cant find youtube videos to help.  Im also needed a wide angle lens because sometines thier really spread out (5 piece band) or im not able to get far enough away to get them all in. Can someone help me out please or point me in a direction for help?

2 REPLIES 2

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Diakara,

Do you know how to put your camera in Live View?

If you don't, the put your camera in one of the Creative Modes like M or Av or Tv. Press the little white button just above your LCD screen on the back right next to the Viewfinder.

Now press your Menu button. Your first set of tabs is in red and looks like a little camera.

It will give you about 5 sub-tab options. Scroll over to the 5th sub-tab. The third option in the list is called Continuous AF.

Disable that.

I think that will solve your problem.

As far as a wide angle lens, what lens are you currently using?

I have a T8i myself and I like it a lot.

Steve Thomas

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Diakara,

PS: If you haven't done so already, I'd strongly encourage you to download a pdf copy of your user's manual. It's made my life a whole lot easier. You can use the search function in your pdf reader like Adobe Acrobat and search for specific things.

You can do a Google search for Canon T8i User Manual. One such site is here:

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0300038762/01/EOS_850D_Advanced_User_Guide_EN.pdf

Another PS: When shooting videos, if you put your camera in one of the Creative Modes like Av (aperture priority), or Tv (shutter priority), your camera will default to the P (Program) mode. In the P mode, your camera sets your aperture and shutter speed. This is like your A (automatic mode), but with the added advantage of allowing you to adjust your ISO up or down to make your pictures or videos a little darker or brighter.

Steve Thomas

click here to view the gallery
Announcements