cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 freezing up repeatedly

mjstory76
Apprentice

Good morning,

I am a high school photojournalism teacher and recently purchased 2 Rebel T7 cameras for my class. I have my own version of the camera as well that I purchased about 2 years ago and have never had any problems. Within a two-week period, all 3 of my cameras have suddenly started freezing in the middle of shots. The only solution that works is to remove my battery, but it starts in again within the first 5-6 pictures. These cameras all have different memory cards and lenses and the locations have been both indoors and outdoors with the same results. The only common thing I can figure is that we shoot in manual for everything. While I could get on board with the two newest cameras maybe having a default, the fact that my personal camera that was not purchased at the same time started doing the same thing is making this harder. I've cleaned the cameras and cleared all settings but again, it starts taking pictures good but after about 10, it will shut down and freeze up. The batteries are what came with the cameras, so they're not even 2 months old. Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The only common thing I can figure is that we shoot in manual for everything."

Ok, this can be a problem to sort out. The fact you guys have nothing in common isn't helping. So the first thing to do is make sure you are all doing the exact same things. Make sure all batteries are fully charged. Charger could be the problem. Use the same SD brand and size in each T7. Low level format them in the camera. 

I have heard of folks having issues when certain menu combinations are selected. Make sure you really do a full reset. Menus, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings. Check to see if there is a FW update for the T7.

Are these stills or video? The T7 will lock up if it gets too hot. It is designed to do that for self protection. Doing the whole photography gig at the high school for a few decades I know there is no way to predict what a high schooler does and/or why. Once they are out of your sight and control who knows?

" I've cleaned the cameras ..."

This rarely to never works or helps. It is more of a feel good I did something. If you get everything exactly the same and setup and used exactly the same way and still see the problem you probably do have faulty cameras. Even though one is 2 years older than the others. Good luck!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

One common cause for frozen cameras are the memory cards.  Only use full size cards, not micro-SD cards. Format them in the camera. I advise using  max size of 32GB cards with a T7. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements