cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 Orientation of Embedded JPEG in CR2 Raw Image

GHPorter
Contributor

I have an EOS Rebel T7, and I have noticed that by default the orientation of the JPEG embedded in my CR2 raw images is not consistent with the raw image itself.  So far I’ve only noticed this when my camera is set to auto-rotate new images, but I haven’t looked at images that are not auto-rotated.

Is there a menu selection on the T7 that lets the photographer control the embedded JPEG’s orientation?  If not, is there some other way to make the JPEG match the raw image?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GHPorter
Contributor

Having looked through a lot of my RAW images, it appears that the embedded JPEG image is always oriented the same way as the main image.  However rotating the main image using either DPP4 or RawTherapee, the JPEG is not rotated.  I don’t know if the file format allows editing the orientation of the JPEG, though it looks like rotating the main image is pretty simple.

I would like Canon’s software people to pay attention to this.  Adobe’s DNG tools, such as Lightroom, do allow changing details of the embedded preview JPEG image.  Adding that ability to their own software, and manipulating their own file format data, would at least keep many people from immediately jumping to Adobe products and ignoring Canon’s.

I’m going to call “my issue” solved, since it’s almost certainly simply a matter of me not recalling which images I had already rotated.  Frankly, DPP did make figuring this out much easier, since the thumbnail browser marks edited images as having been edited.  However I do very little actual editing with DPP because of its limitations compared to RawTherapee.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

I've checked, and I have auto-rotate turned off.  Looking back at shots I have done with RAW+JPEG, they all seem to be rotated the same way, but none of those were slide or negative captures.

Now that I think about it, I probably manually rotated the main image in the files I've been complaining about, so the embedded JPEG was likely aligned the same way as the main image until I rotated it.

So now I just wonder if there is some sort of tool that will allow me to edit the rotation of embedded JPEGs if I've manually rotated the main image...

GHPorter
Contributor

Having looked through a lot of my RAW images, it appears that the embedded JPEG image is always oriented the same way as the main image.  However rotating the main image using either DPP4 or RawTherapee, the JPEG is not rotated.  I don’t know if the file format allows editing the orientation of the JPEG, though it looks like rotating the main image is pretty simple.

I would like Canon’s software people to pay attention to this.  Adobe’s DNG tools, such as Lightroom, do allow changing details of the embedded preview JPEG image.  Adding that ability to their own software, and manipulating their own file format data, would at least keep many people from immediately jumping to Adobe products and ignoring Canon’s.

I’m going to call “my issue” solved, since it’s almost certainly simply a matter of me not recalling which images I had already rotated.  Frankly, DPP did make figuring this out much easier, since the thumbnail browser marks edited images as having been edited.  However I do very little actual editing with DPP because of its limitations compared to RawTherapee.

Announcements