cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T5: why is the red light (lower R corner) continually blinking when I turn camera on?

LDTeacher
Contributor

I have a two year old Canon EOS Rebel T5. It gives great pictures, altho I am not always happy with the focus for long-distance images.  I guess I need to study the manual more.  My question is about the little reddish light at the lower R. hand corner of the non-lens face of the camera.  Every time I turn the camera on, it starts blinking...I have no idea what its function is...can anyone help me?  I'm not very tech literate about my camera - I bought it so I could take rapid-fire images of nature and my husband racing.  Otherwise, I have not learned much about lenses, etc. 

24 REPLIES 24

A camera is like a computer, the red light at startup is the camera going through its bootup process, which includes reading its firmware, and communicating with lenses and cards.  Canon native lenses will have an advantage there as they are specifically designed at a deeper level than some 3rd party lenses to engage with the camera.  For example, Canon lenses usually have in-camera lens correction, but not many 3rd party lenses.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you Tronhard, that makes perfect sense.  I enjoy the  utility of theTamron 28-300 as I'm mostly outdoors full sun.  But...the get the best out of the camera plainly there's a good reason to use the Canon lenes.  I really appreciate that insight.  I'm mostly back in the 35mm SLR days and there's so much I don't know about digital cameras.  I think I'll try some test shots with the Tamron and Canon and see if I can spot the difference. (some good YouTube info on this)  Since I'm just traveling and family photos, I'm guessing 28-300 will work fine.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This thread is over 3 years old. You'd be better served by starting your own new thread,

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

normadel
Authority
Authority

What do you mean by "I am not always happy with the focus for long-distance images."

Images of what? Do you know about choosing focus points? Do you know how to see what focus point(s) you are using? Have you read your manual sections on Focus subjects?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Again, "This thread is over 3 years old."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements