cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3i Speedlite Question

FrankGolesic
Apprentice

I am looking at a speedlite from an old Elan , what series or model does it have to conform to to work on a T3i ( Digital )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Keshawn wrote:  

I am looking at a speedlite from an old Elan , what series or model does it have to conform to to work on a T3i 

Any Canon flash ending with "EX" will work.   (380EX, 420EX, 430EX, 550EX)

These early flash units are not compatible with the in camera flash menu so all setting changes are done using the buttons on the flash body. 

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What is the model number of the flash? Since the T3i has the center contact, it should work. If it has the extra contacts you might even get some E-TTL with it.

However, modern flashes are so much better, it might not be worth fiddling.

Which Elan do you have? And which flash do you have?  Any "EX" flash will work with your T3i.

Elan cameras were manufactured right at the time when Canon began switching from A-TTL to E-TTL. A-TTL is only compatible with film cameras While E-TTL can be compatible with both film cameras and digital cameras.

The original Elan camera was compatible with only A-TTL while later Elan II and Elan 7 cameras were compatible with both A-TTL and E-TTL.

A-TTL flashes were named "EZ" while E-TTL flashes are named "EX". The earliest "EX" flashes were the 380EX, 420EX and 550EX.

Mike Sowsun

@kvbarkley wrote:

What is the model number of the flash? Since the T3i has the First Call Online center contact, it should work. If it has the extra contacts you might even get some E-TTL with it.

However, modern flashes are so much better, it might not be worth fiddling.

I am looking at a speedlite from an old Elan , what series or model does it have to conform to to work on a T3i 

@Keshawn wrote:  

Any Canon flash ending with "EX" will work.   (380EX, 420EX, 430EX, 550EX)

These early flash units are not compatible with the in camera flash menu so all setting changes are done using the buttons on the flash body. 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks for your reply's. I did make a mistake the camera model is in fact the T4i. It would seem here in the UK i can get the flash hot shoe replaced for £60+vat and a lot of hassle. Thanks and regards.

Announcements