cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T2i View Finder Dark and Blurry

dsnowsha
Apprentice

My camera sat for a while unused and was working great before hand. Currently the viewfinder is dark and blurry, I can see the green numbers etc, the diopter is focused it is not the problem, the mirror is clean, the focusing glass is in place and clean. It takes sharp photos I just can’t see what I’m taking photos of unless I use the live view mode. Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Also- not taking it to a repair shop as it would not be worth it. 

Canon Rebel T2i 

3 REPLIES 3

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Hello dsnowsha welcome to the forums. Are you 100% sure the focusing screen is correctly installed and in place. The only thing that could cause a dark viewfinder would be jammed aperture blades in the lens. What lens are you currently using. You can remove the lens cap and the full name of the lens will be on the outer ring. I suggest trying a different lens to see if the dark viewfinder goes away.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Does sound like the lens. Remove the lens and look through the eyepiece. It will look like you are looking through wax paper, but Is it bright? 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If the camera can take sharp photos, do you hear the mirror slapping noises?  

If you can see images in Live View, but not in the OVF, then it sounds like the mirror could be stuck in the raised position.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements