cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T1i: Shutter button not working

Danny_D
Contributor

I recently got a rebel T1i from someone off of facebook marketplace it looks good when I looked at it. When I got home I charged the batteries and put one in and it turns on but it doesn’t take pictures when I click the button. I would like to know if I can fix it at home or if I should take it to professional? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

14 REPLIES 14

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lens?

Does it do anything when you turn it on?

Put it in green square mode and go out on a sunny day. Does it still not take pictures?

I messed around with the settings a bit so now it at least tries to take a pic. it came with 2 lenses . One is a 28-200 mm for that one it snaps a pic and gives an ERROR 1 message on the screen. I’ve looked it up and a solution says to clean the gold area on the lens and I’ve done that and still gives the error. The other lens is a 24 mm lens and its able to take a pic with that one i just need to press the button a little harder.

Danny_D,

In the meantime, could you bypass the shutter button and use the RS-60E3 shutter release cable?

Steve Thomas

@Danny_D wrote:

I messed around with the settings a bit so now it at least tries to take a pic. it came with 2 lenses . One is a 28-200 mm for that one it snaps a pic and gives an ERROR 1 message on the screen. I’ve looked it up and a solution says to clean the gold area on the lens and I’ve done that and still gives the error. The other lens is a 24 mm lens and its able to take a pic with that one i just need to press the button a little harder.

The zoom lens may have an electrical fault. Sounds like it is not a Canon lens; I don't recall Canon having a zoom lens with that range. If you switch the lens to manual focus can you take a photo?

The shutter button does have a tw0-step travel. Half press to actuate camera and start auto focus. Press fully and fire shutter. What you describe sounds OK.

eosrti-eos500d-im2-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

So it sounds like the 28-200 mm lens isn’t compatible with the camera. I’ve put the 24 mm lens and I’ve half push and sometimes it focuses and then I press a little harder and it takes the pic but other times i have to press harder to the point my finger hurts a bit. 

It’s possible the button is sticking. Take a business card or a stick-note paper and insert between shutter button and body. Run it along the circumference of the button. I’ve seen situations where a piece of sand and even some splashed soda got in and gummed things up. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Ok I’ve passed a thin business card I had and still having the same problem. Would I have to take it to a professional to take it apart and clean it?

You can get a excellent condition body from Keh camera for between $76 and $100. It would likely cost you as much if not more to have yours serviced, particularly if it needs to be sent somewhere.

Do you have a camera store or camera club near you where you could have someone look at it and see what they think? 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The closest thing to a camera club near me is a Best Buy

click here to view the gallery
Announcements