cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL1 refuses to focus with any lens.

ilslaoaycd
Apprentice

This is not a lens issue, or an autofocus issue.

No matter what I try, my camera will not focus on any object in any conditions at any distance with any lens. I can go through the entire range of the lens and it almost sharpens all the way, but it doesn't.

I'm not necessarily searching for a solution, but an answer. I'm wondering what may have been damaged that would cause this issue. I have a custom case for this camera and its lenses, so I find it unlikely that it was damaged but I suppose it is possible. 

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

To clarify: are you saying that when you mount any of your lenses (i.e. more than one lens) on the camera, set the lens at AF and try to focus on a subject the camera will not focus and not give you a green dot AF signal?

Does the same thing happen if you use Live View on the LCD?

Viewfinder focusing and Live View focusing use two entirely different AF systems.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Will the lenses focus manually. Note STM and Nano USM lenses have an electronic focus ring. The metering system must be active for manual focusing to work. 

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Does it focus in live view?

When not using live view, focus is via a chip at the bottom of the mirror box. sometimes something can block that chip.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Use a “rocket blower” to make sure there is not any dust and dirt on the AF sensor.  Do not attempt to physically clean it off.  If the camera is still not focusing, then contact Canon Service.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements