cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP: "undocumented product feature"

steve1957
Contributor

At least that's what Microsoft calls their bugs.

I was having a strange experience with my RP. In Av and P mode, the camera would not increase ISO automatically to compensate for a Tv/Av combo that resulted in a shutter speed too slow for a blur-free exposure. (Yes, on my camera CF 1>6 safety shift is set to "2")

So, why was I getting 1/6 sec shutter speeds at ISO 320 and Av 7.1? ISO should have shifted to require a shutter speed of at least 1/40 of a second, and probably 1/60th of a second, but it didn't, even though the attached screen shot shows "Auto ISO>on."

So, what's going on? I looked through all the menu options and the camera was set up like it should be...except for one thing: Camera>2>external speedlite control>slow synchro was set to "1/180-30 sec. Auto." Setting it back to "1/180-1/60 sec. Auto" resolved the issue and the camera now behaves as expected in P or Av mode.

Note: this setting is under "External Speedlite Control" and, silly me, I thought that it only applied when I had a Speedlite on the camera. Not so. This setting changes how the RP calculates shutter/aperture across the board, and apparently disables safety shift "auto ISO" whether there is a Speedlite on the camera or not.

Thought Canon might find this interesting and if it is, indeed, a bug, Canon's engineers may want to correct it with a firmware update.  I don't know if this bug is across the EOS line or specific to just the RP.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 111009.jpg

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

This is only a user forum.  Perhaps you should contact Canon directly with your findings?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, I did report it.  I thought it would be a good idea to inform other RP users of this issue as well.

Announcements