cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7

John_SD
Whiz

An interesting announcement today regarding the EOS R7. It should make some wildlife shooters happy, and confuse others. It has some solid specs, but the omission of a stacked sensor lacking bsi is a bad choice. Also, as Canon has demonstrated in recent times, they are persisting in their weirdness in regard to physical controls. Apparently not learning from the disaster of the EOS R touchbar clunkiness, which was so unpopular it has never been seen again, Canon decides to combine 2 controls into 1 -- the AF joystick is now completely encircled by the control wheel, which has already proving to be awkward and fiddly to some reviewers. And it sits very close to the AF-ON button, causing further problems. While I like other aspects of the camera, this would be a no-go for me if I were someone looking for an APS-C rig. YMMV. 

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Exactly my reactions...  Considering that the 7D series was supposed to be the flagship DSLR for crop sensor shooters, many of whom are professional and use the telephoto cropping effect of the sensor for their wildlife work.  I found the lack of a BSI, stacked sensor to be deplorable. My Sony RX-10MkIV, released in 2017, has a stacked sensor, for heaven's sake! 😕

Furthermore, according to Pangolin Wildlife, who tested a pre-production copy, Canon stated that while the body has some weather proofing, it is less than the R5 and R6.  If that is correct, it is another weak point of the camera, given that weather variability is exactly what wildlife shooters have to deal with!

As to the control wheel relocation... I will wait to see how that works out, but it does smack of a trial by production.  Don't they have focus groups for this kind of experiment?   I agree it was a shame to see the locations of the back-button controls for focus and exposure lock relocated.  IMHO, it would have been a great feature to have ergonomic consistency between bodies that are really the same.

I have the distinct feeling that Canon have watered down what was a great camera series to something lesser and rather half-hearted: rather like the original R and RP were rather tepid dipping of toes in the MILCy waters.

I was really looking forward to the R7 as a pro-level crop-sensor DSLR, but I may wait for the MkII to come out when they might finally produce a camera worthy of the mark.  Fuji are apparently releasing new versions of their X-T4 bodies soon, maybe I shall look at them...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Totally agree with your assessment. The compromised sensor issue is going to be the achilles heel in this, in my view, and would likely turn off wildlife pros and enthusiasts completely. I too would wait for Mark II or look elsewhere. 

You mentioned Fujifilm. I have been going to that site almost daily for some time, jonesing bad for an X-T4, but will wait for the next iteration if it is on the horizon. As for the X100V, I think I would love that for street and travel. I just wish it had IBIS. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

There is apparently an X-Summit on May 31st.  So exhale and breathe for a few days!  I'm still getting to know my X-T4's.  They were IMHO the best APS-C sensor MILC body out there and Canon had an opportunity to sail past them, or at least match a new release, and they bungled it with some limp 'features'.   So sad, I am a long-term (40+ years) Canon user...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

My mind isn’t made up.  I have no reason to be.  Here’s the Canon USA release video.

https://youtu.be/xMwLPgwnoI4 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Rudy Winston’s 3 minute introduction to the R7. 

https://youtu.be/JRYHriSDO10 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Canon has issued an apology already. Due to a larger than expected number of pre-orders, coupled with continuing supply chain troubles, the company has confirmed that availability of the R7 will be delayed. 

Life is too short. Make a list of the top 5 cameras you can reasonably afford, regardless of manufacturer. Check to see what is available. Place your order. But do not waste months and months of your life hoping for supply chain miracles.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A 90D in mirrorless form.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements