cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 freezes when trying to update firmware to 1.6.0

Kealii21
Apprentice

Tried to use Camera Connect to update firmware.  Camera connects and firmware update program starts.  Asks if I want to update, but only Cancel is highlighted, and OK is greyed out and cannot be highlighted.  After several attempts with the same result, reset the camera to factory defaults, loaded the EOSR7160.FIR file to the SD card and tried again.  Same result - Firmware update program freezes and only Cancel is highlighted.  Only way to unfreeze the camera is to take out the battery.  Ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It’s waiting for you to move the cursor, not touch the screen.  It works just like the regular camera menus, except touch control is disabled. I don’t have the R7, so I can’t tell what control to use. 

Again, it’s waiting for you to move the highlight to [Ok].

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The camera is not freezing up.  The default selection is [Cancel].  The camera is waiting for you to move the focus/cursor to [Ok] and continue with the update.  All the camera menus work the same way.  Use the wheel to move the cursor.

I tried that.  It doesn't move.  If I hit Cancel, nothing happens.  If I hit Menu, I can get out of it.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It’s waiting for you to move the cursor, not touch the screen.  It works just like the regular camera menus, except touch control is disabled. I don’t have the R7, so I can’t tell what control to use. 

Again, it’s waiting for you to move the highlight to [Ok].

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You can use the Quick Dial rocker on the back of the camera (press at 3o'clock) to move the cursor from Cancel to OK.  Then press Set.  You can also use the Main Dial just behind the shutter button, turn one click to right.  

shadowsports_0-1728759719255.jpeg

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Actually, the main dial didn’t work.  Out of frustration I hit the Quick Dial rocker and luckily hit it at 3 o’clock.  Bingo!  Wish they’d said that in the installation instructions.  Thanks

“ Wish they’d said that in the installation instructions. “

It does. I keep repeating that it works just like the regular camera menus. Except, the touch control is disabled.  

My guess is that the engineers don’t want the user to accidentally start the update process. They want initiating the update to be what is known as a “double action” process. 

Instead of a “single action”, tapping [Ok], they force the user to perform a “double action”, move the cursor and then click. 

Announcements