cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 battery goes dead while camera is off

paulk
Apprentice

Why does my Canon R7 battery go dead while the camera is turned off? My 70D and my other T series cameras would sit for weeks on end without the battery going dead. Thak in advance for any information you could share.

17 REPLIES 17

normadel
Authority
Authority

There are functions in digital cameras that are powered even though it is turned off.

One that I learned on my 7D DSLR is it has an LCD overlay on the focusing screen that provides illuminated focus points and other  things in the viewfinder. I discovered this when I noticed  that with the battery out of it, the viewfinder dims significantly. The overlay is not clear without battery power.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@paulk wrote:

Why does my Canon R7 battery go dead while the camera is turned off? My 70D and my other T series cameras would sit for weeks on end without the battery going dead. Thak in advance for any information you could share.

What is the model number of the battery grip?  What is the manufacturer’s name?

I do not recall Canon releasing a battery grip for this camera body.  This means the camera body was not designed to use a grip.  Using a third party grip on a camera body not designed to use a battery grip can damage the camera.  The damage would not be covered by any warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum:
I find that quite often camera, especially (but limited to) mirrorless ones, will 'leak' some energy over time, which is why Canon recommend removing the battery from the camera when not in use.  Are you using genuine Canon batteries in your camera?

Bill: Does the OP have a battery grip?  I don't see a reference to one.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

LOL.  No grip.  Watching Monday Night Football and posting to the forums.  LOL

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

He may have wi-fi and/or Bluetooth turned on.  That will run the battery down rapidly if left on.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Absolutely, although they should not drain if the camera is turned off (as opposed to simply allowed to sleep),as they indicate.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How fast is it draining?

We’ve wet and rainy weekends all summer.  The weekends are my prime time to get out into a park somewhere and grab photos.  My R6mkII with a battery grip lost about half of its charge sitting around on rainy weekends.  I’m certain that my wireless is disabled.

I mostly use custom shooting modes.  I keep the wireless communications disabled.  If I want to use wireless communications, then I have to switch away from a custom shooting mode and enable it.

Even still, I have left wireless enabled when the camera is actually switched OFF, and I have not noticed any difference in how fast the battery depletes itself.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Did anybody ask what lens he's using yet?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Should that make any difference, if the camera is turned off?

Announcements