cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 autofocus on A+ mode taking too long at various zoom levels

deepakpallam
Apprentice

Yesterday I was trying to take pictures with Canon R7 + RFS 18-150 STM lens and found that auto focus struggles at different zoom levels. It works fine when there is no zoom ( 18 mm ) or full zoom ( 150 mm ) but struggles to focus when i use any focal length in between for the same subject. This is around noon so there is plenty of light and it's in  in A+ mode.

When i press the shutter button it basically hangs sometimes before focusing or doesn't even respond sometimes. Is this a mechanical issue or a software issue. Camera and lens are almost brand new.

Camera Firmware version: 1.4.0

Lens Firmware version: 1.0.0

It seems to be fine now after I did a factory reset but I am not sure why it happened and if it would again in the future .

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

How much light was there?

deepakpallam
Apprentice

It was around noon outdoors in New York city. There were few clouds but there was plenty of light

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The AF mode in [A+] mode is the hybrid between One Shot and Servo.  So it takes a little longer to focus because the camera has to first figure out which AF mode to use.  This is why there is typically an automatic mode customized specifically for basic sports photography.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements