cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 USB-C charging not working with camera on

estebanilla
Apprentice

Hello everyone!

Sorry for my english, i used google translate.

A few days ago I bought my canon r7 and I noticed a problem: apparently it doesn't charge via usb power while it's on, but it does when it's off. I have seen several videos where it is said that when the camera is connected through the usb port and it is turned on, the battery icon on the camera screen turns gray, which is not the case in my case.

I think that the problem is not with the charger, since it does work with the camera turned off, so now I am wondering if it is a problem with firmware 1.3.0, which is the one that has the camera installed at the moment (unfortunately I did not Testing the operation of the camera before updating from version 1.1.0 to version 1.3.0, so I don't know if it is a firmware or hardware problem.)

I write here because I would like to know if you with firmware version 1.3.0 have a similar problem. I would also like to know if you have any advice or if I am simply doing something wrong.

Thanks a lot!!!

2 REPLIES 2

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi estebanilla,

We haven't received any alerts about firmware issues related to powering or charging the EOS R7 through the USB port. There are a couple of things to check when the battery icon is not turning gray. The first is to make sure you are using the USB Power Adapter PD-E1 and the adapter is plugged into a wall outlet. The other thing to double check is the type of battery loaded in the camera. For the battery icon to turn gray an LP-E6NH battery needs to be loaded. The icon will not turn gray if an older LP-E6N or LP-E6 battery is loaded in the camera.

If you would like to reference the manual for information on powering and charging the camera through the USB port that is on pages 904-906. If you need a copy of the manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Manuals button and the one to reference is named EOS R7 Advanced User Guide.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There is nothing is wrong with your camera.  😄  Its operating normally.

shadowsports_0-1679873780820.png

One thing worth mentioning.  If a battery is defective or severely depleted, the camera may not power on until the battery reaches a nominal level of charge.  Enjoy your camera 👍 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It
Announcements