cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 exposure lock after focus bug

Maxnorge
Apprentice

I have configured * button to switch between servo and one-shot AF. When I use custom button to switch to one-shot AF, the exposure stops being locked after half-pressing shutter button - only AF is locked. If one-shot AF mode is selected by any other way (Q-menu, multifunction button) or the camera is already in this mode when power is on, the AE locks after focus as normal. Loosing AE lock after focus happens only when switching to one-shot AF using custom button. Even entering Q-menu or menu of multifuction button without changing any settings brings AE lock after focus back to normal.

Metering mode is set to evaluative, AE lock meter mode after focus is activated for evaluative metering.

This really looks like a bug that happens when one-shot AF mode is activated by custom button. I customized a few other buttons and the outcome is the same.

Did anyone notice this bug? Hoped that 1.2.0 firmware fixes it, but it did not.

What is the way to inform Canon about it?

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The default behavior for One Shat AF is to lock focus with a half-press, and not to lock exposure until a full press.  I like to save compiiex camera configurations as custom shooting modes.  Makes it easy when I hand the camera to someone, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Leaving AE unlocked after half-pressing shutter button makes it more difficult to focus and recompose for me. Default for EOS R6 is to lock AE after focus in evaluative metering mode, although this behaviour for different metering modes can be changed in "AE lock meter mode after focus" in camera settings.

I personally find it great to have one button configured to switch between Servo and One-Shot AF and another button to switch between face detection and 1-point AF - makes it quick to react to situations when camera does not focus where you want it.

That's how the cameras work.  Exposure does not lock until the shutter is fully pressed.  If you to lock AE, too, then I suggest that you use an [AEL] button, or a fuly manual exposure.  That's how the cameras work.

@Maxnorge wrote:

Leaving AE unlocked after half-pressing shutter button makes it more difficult to focus and recompose for me. Default for EOS R6 is to lock AE after focus in evaluative metering mode, although this behaviour for different metering modes can be changed in "AE lock meter mode after focus" in camera settings.

I personally find it great to have one button configured to switch between Servo and One-Shot AF and another button to switch between face detection and 1-point AF - makes it quick to react to situations when camera does not focus where you want it.

It seem like you're moving the goal posts to prove your point.  Which metering mode are actually using for focus and recompose?

Also, what metering and focus mode is the camera using when you switch it to One Shot with a button press?  That mode will define how the camera should behave.

Have you ever tried to focus and recompose using AI Servo AF and iTR face tracking AF?  If you lock AF on your subject, the camera wil stay locked on your subject as you recompose the shot, automatically switching AF points as you move the camera.

One aspect of Evaluative Metering mode that many people are unaware of is that the camera will bias the exposure to whichever AF point is locked to take the shot.  The behavior will be nearly identical to using Center Weighted Average with just the Center AF point, except now the weighed average will be at whichever AF point is locked, not just the center.

I always use Evaluative Metering mode. In 1-point AF it should measure exposure, as you wrote, biased to AF place and lock it, so exposure does not change if you recompose and AF marker hits brighter or darker spot after recomposing. But it does not lock exposure after focus if I switched to one-shot AF by customized button, otherwise it locks as it should.

I do normally use face detection AF and Servo AF, but if the camera can't find the subject I want to focus at, I switch to One-shot AF and 1-point AF and use good old focus and reconpose technique. This is how I found this bug in firmware.

@Maxnorge wrote:

I always use Evaluative Metering mode. In 1-point AF it should measure exposure, as you wrote, biased to AF place and lock it, so exposure does not change if you recompose and AF marker hits brighter or darker spot after recomposing. But it does not lock exposure after focus if I switched to one-shot AF by customized button, otherwise it locks as it should.

I do normally use face detection AF and Servo AF, but if the camera can't find the subject I want to focus at, I switch to One-shot AF and 1-point AF and use good old focus and reconpose technique. This is how I found this bug in firmware.

I asked what mode is the camera in BEFORE you push the button to switch it to One Shot AF.  The mode the camera is in before you switch it seems to define how exposure lock works.  I think the only thing that changes when you press the button is the AF Mode, not the AE Lock behavior.  Under the hood, the camera is still in the original mode.

Many people do not realize how AF Tracking works, so they never want to use it.  The center AF point can be used as the Initial AF Tracking point.  The default behavior is automatic AF point selection.  You must go into the menus and tell the camera to use your selected AF point, otherwise it will focus on whatever it thinks you want to see.

I don't think you found a bug.  Just because it does not do what you want, or expect, does not mean it is a bug.  All Canon EOS DSLR cameras have behaved the same way literally for years.

BTW, I think all you have to do is use the [AE Lock], and your issue is resolved.

The metering mode is Evaluative before and after using customized button.

When I faced the issue of unlocked exposure after focus, I also considered using AEL manually in scenes when AE changes after recompose, but after looking into this deeper I realised that this behaviour is inconsistent and happens only after using custom button. The manual describes what is the normal behaviour, see extract below. The work around is now pushing M-Fn or Q button and focusing again - then AE lock after focus comes back 🙂

The intention of initial post was to inform other users of R6 about it and to check if I am not the only one who faces it.

38D393E8-42B9-4C20-AB84-0C6B65087D23.jpeg

"Also, what metering and focus mode is the camera using when you switch it to One Shot with a button press?  That mode will define how the camera should behave."

I am glad that you seem to have found a work around.  No need to answer the question now.

Announcements