cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II not booting

TimSe
Contributor

Earlier today I was shooting and the original battery started to warn (red blinking battery icon) so I popped the battery and replaced it with a somewhat older LP-E6N. Since then the camera is completely dead. 

When I insert a (charged) battery and hold my ear against the body I can hear 2 sounds: something that sounds like the IBS starting up (mechanical "klunk" like sound) and a surring sound like a fan. The screen stays black and the camera does not respond to any buttons. 

Any tips?

13 REPLIES 13

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum:
The R6 should work with the earlier versions of the battery. 
Were you shooting video or still images?
When you say "so I popped the battery and replaced it", did you turn the camera off to do so?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

TimSe
Contributor

Thanks for your reply Trevor. I was shooting still images, and did not shut down the camera.

I hardly ever (never?) do this when changing battery in the ca 1,5 years I've had this body. I do shut it down every once in a while, but while shooting I typically do not have the patience to wait for the sensor cleaning process. The only difference with previous times I can come up with is that this was the first time on firmware 1.5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Trevor's already started down the right path.  The fact that you say you've never or rarely shut off the camera when replacing a battery is not a good practice.  Sensor cleaning at power off can be disabled.

https://cam.start.canon/en/C012/manual/html/UG-08_Set-up_0300.html

I hope you turn your camera off when you change a lens, memory card, or remove / install an accessory.  The version of firmware has no correlation to this.  It's basically like pulling the cord out of a wall on an electrical device.  Some devices like a refrigerator can handle this fine but not your camera.  Not on a regular basis anyway 😉

Power off the camera, remove the lens, install the body cap. Remove any memory cards. Remove the battery.  Press and hold the shutter button for 15 seconds.  Let the camera sit for an hour.  Reinsert a freshly charged battery.  This should be a battery of known good health and quality. Power on the camera.  What is the result? 

If the camera doesn't power on and is unresponsive, It will need to go to Canon for inspection or repair.  We hope this is not the case.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yeah. I was afraid it would turn into this this type of discussion with regard to the turning off etc. I do not want to turn off the sensor cleaning, I just don’t want to do that when in the middle of a shoot. When shooting and the battery runs low I just pop in a fresh one and want to continue. When done with shooting, storing the camera or this type of action I turn it off and then I do want the sensor cleaning to kick in automatically. 

But thanks for your other tips. Will test and reply when done. 

Deleted

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor. I never mentioned changing lenses. 

Thanks again. I tried and it's still non responsive. I'll take it to our local canon service center tomorrow.

Stephen

If you've replaced the battery and verified that the card door and battery door are both all the way closed and that the IR sensor under the viewfinder is clean and unobstructed, and you've hit the "INFO" button a handful of times with the camera turned on, then it's time to send it in to have it evaluated via your My Canon Account at https://canon.us/account 

Stephen_0-1728236260676.png

Yeah.. Thanks for this info. Looks like I'll take it to our local service center tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

Announcements