cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Glitches and errors after updating firmware to v1.4

Scarabesh
Apprentice

Hello,

I have been using the R6 II for a year and half and have had no issues with it until Firmware 1.3 and 1.4. 1.4 was supposed to fix some of the issues with 1.3 but now I am getting some weird glitches and errors. I believe the one I got today was error 67, sensor error. The EVF was black with all the icons visible, the controls were dead and then the Error popped onto the screen. I pulled the batteries, replaced them and the camera worked fine. yesterday, while using my Sigma 60-600 S I was having issues with the EVF freezing, going blank but it never posted an error. These issues are recent and I presume firmware related. I am posting this to see if anyone else has had this error. 

6 REPLIES 6

March411
Rising Star

Scarabesh, welcome to the site and sorry to hear you are having issues with your R6.

I have the same setup as you and had some issues with my 60-600mm. After speaking to Sigma support they recommendation I update the firmware on the lens. Do you have a Sigma dock and have you checked to see if there are firmware updates available.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
Personal Gallery

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

FWIW, I have been shooting with the R6II and the Sigma 60-600s for a while with absolutely no issues, but I updated my firmware to the current version before I went to mirrorless.  Like my colleague Marc, I hope that updating the firmware on the lens will resolve your issue!
It's a great lens and works brilliantly with the R5, R6 and R6II.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for the feedback. The lens has been on the latest firmware, it actually shipped with it, and I’ve had no issues until recently. I must have skipped that the issue also happened with an RF 14-35f4 while typing. I was in contact with Canon and was informed that error codes should end in zero. I will double check should it code again. I did format the cards before it crashed and coded but not before it was glitching, the rep said a card could be corrupted or a battery issue. I will need to drill down further and figure out if any one combo is causing it to crash or if it’s the body. I say it started after the firmware update, most logical point IMO, or could be a hardware failure that just happens to coincide with the firmware update. Thanks again.

Thanks for your response.  Well the inclusion of a second lens definitely suggests something other than that specific optic.  I would definitely consider the card and battery.   FWIW, just in case, I have the following suggestions about SD cards:
Use only Full-Size SD cards, and avoid micro-sd's with adapters they often generate errors in cameras.
I recommend reputable card makers such as SanDisc, Lexar, and Prograde, from reputable stores.  On-line deals run a risk of counterfeits.
I suggest never deleting files off your SD cards.  Instead copy the files to your computer and format the card in your camera.  This avoids cumulative errors from deleting files and and overloading the FAT table with multiple entries for each file.
I mostly use Canon batteries, but have also reliably used SmallRig and Kingma brands as well.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If the issue is happening with native RF glass, I would suggest resetting the camera to defaults and not making any customizations after the reset while normal operating is confirmed.  

Using a freshly formatting memory card is also recommended as Trevor suggests.  For thoroughness, can you confirm for us the firmware version your lens is running.  

Also, what brand lens adapter are you using with your camera please?  Canon brand or other.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

March411
Rising Star

Scarabesh,

I did the camera firmware update to 1.4 yesterday and took several test shots with no challenges so far with the updated firmware. I purposely used third party batteries and a freshly (in camera) formatted SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-II Memory Card.

I plan on getting out today and will do a little more testing to see if the update causes any challenges.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
Personal Gallery
click here to view the gallery
Announcements