cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Firmware 1.5.0 Won't install

John_Magnan
Apprentice

I have a MacBook Pro and iPhone.  Tried using the Cannon Connect app to install firmware like I did for 1.4.  Starts the file transfer then I get "failed to transfer firmware" fault.  So I tried to use my MacBook.  Downloaded the file which is a .dmg file.  Moved it to my applications folder and it will not open.  Why can't we just get a .frm file to transfer to the camera's SD card?  Better yet develop a version of Cannon Connect that runs on Mac so we can connect via usb to the camera to update firmware.  Very frustrating.

8 REPLIES 8

SamanthaW

Hi!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the model of camera you're working with.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, please check out your other support options here.

Thanks! 

Sorry about that.  R6 MK2

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi John and welcome:

I get that this is frustrating, and I can't change the system, but I can give you an alternative solution.  Considering a camera has a very basic operating system, the software required to decompressed a file is not going to work too well within a camera itself.  That is why it needs a computer to do the unpacking and reveal the .FIR file that the camera will read.
If you want a reliable method to get the job done, use an SD card reader attached to your computer, download the compressed file to your computer and transfer the FIR file to the card which you then put in the camera to do the update.

This solution is not about convenience, (although I find it pretty simple, fast and convenient) it's about getting the job done, which is the end result I think you want to achieve.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The problem is the dmg file isn't doing its job.  Not sure how much you know about Mac OS but a dmg file is like an envelope that contains an app.  You are suppose to just click on it and it extracts the app and then you move the extracted app to your app folder then launch it.  Well I can't seem to be able to get inside that envelope.

It's been a while since I used a Mac, I must admit.  I have understood that there are some issues with regards to the latest released of the Mac OS, have you recently had an OS update?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The DMG file mounts the archive to your desktop.

Open the "drive," and the .fir file will be there, along with instructions for installing the update. This is on my MacBook Air using Sonoma:

Stephen_1-1727899549430.png

You should be able to do the update in the Canon Connect App, you just might need to use a fresh card.

John_Magnan
Apprentice

Well after much messing around with this I finally got the dmg file to mount.  Not sure what I did to get it to work but I was able to get the FIR file on my sd card.

Great to know.  I hope the rest of the install goes well for you!

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements