cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 IBIS with EF Lens

rk5212
Contributor

Is the IBIS in R6 automatically activated with EF lens? Because I don't see the same options as on page 237 of the manual with respect to IS (Image Stabilizer) mode. The only choice with this option selected is Digital IS. I don't see the choice as shown in the manual (below). I am using EF 24-105 L lens with R6.

Canon R6 Manual IBIS setting.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Folks I contacted (emailed) Canon on the EF lens working with IBIS. They wrote:

"The IS Mode option will only show up in the menu when an lens with IS capability is not attached. If you want to reference the manual for that information it is in the caution note on page 238. The easiest way to see the option is to take the lens off, press the Menu button, go to the seventh page under the red camera icon, and when you go into IS (Image Stabilizer) Mode you will have the option shown on page 237. When you enable that setting the in body stabilization will work with any EF, EF-S, or RF lens that you attach to the camera. You do not need to re-enable it for each lens. Once it is on it stays on. "

Then regarding the downgrading of IBIS with EF lens, they wrote:

"From Canon engineer testing the EF lens do not cause the IBIS to be downgraded from 5-axis to 2-axis. In fact the camera's IS along with the lens IS work hand-in-hand when both are engaged."

So in nutshell IBIS works perfectly with EF lens like RF lens. That's so wonderful!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If seems that 5-Axis IBIS may only apply to native RF mount lenses.  When you use the EF mount adapter IBIS goes into a degraded 2-Axis mode with some lenses.  It would appear that IBIS is disabled entirely with some lenses, too.  I know that lens is not a recent release, which may explain why IBIS is not available.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It is odd that Canon is downgrading the IBIS for EF lens or making it unavailabe. The fact that I don't see IS  mode On/Off in the menus means that IBIS is unavailable. I thought using the canon mount adapter ef-eos r performance with EF lens would be comparable to RF lens. But, now it seems with EF lens the Canon R6 is similar to DSLR as far as image stabilization is concerned. Disappointed!

I am guessing that RF lenses have extra sensors in them for IBIS. Since EF lenses don't have the sensors, they can't use full IBIS. While you could put the sensors in the body, it is probably more sensitive if you have them further out from the axis of rotation.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I am guessing that RF lenses have extra sensors in them for IBIS. Since EF lenses don't have the sensors, they can't use full IBIS. While you could put the sensors in the body, it is probably more sensitive if you have them further out from the axis of rotation.

That just might be the case.  

I think the mount adapter literally changes the camera into an EF mount camera.  There is a difference between a mount adapter and a lens adapter, IMHO.  One stays on the camera, and one stays on the lens.

[EDIT] One changes the behavior of the lens mount, and changes the behavior of the lens.

"The IS Mode option will only show up in the menu when an lens with IS capability is not attached. If you want to reference the manual for that information it is in the caution note on page 238. The easiest way to see the option is to take the lens off, press the Menu button, go to the seventh page under the red camera icon, and when you go into IS (Image Stabilizer) Mode you will have the option shown on page 237. When you enable that setting the in body stabilization will work with any EF, EF-S, or RF lens that you attach to the camera. You do not need to re-enable it for each lens. Once it is on it stays on. "

"From Canon engineer testing the EF lens do not cause the IBIS to be downgraded from 5-axis to 2-axis. In fact the camera's IS along with the lens IS work hand-in-hand when both are engaged."

So in nutshell IBIS works perfectly with EF lens like RF lens. That's so wonderful!!

@rk5212 wrote:

Maybe that explains why I cannot find the Rudy Winston video, where he suggested IBIS is degraded with the EF mount adapter.

THANKS FOR THAT.

@mdd770 wrote:

THANKS FOR THAT.

I wonder why they would design the menus like that.  Off the bat, I do not see the point.  What is it protecting against?

Thanks for clarifying this.

However, something that I haven't seen covered regarding the EF lens/IBIS compatibility on the R6 is how the IBIS deals with EF lenses which have the "Position 2" IS setting (Panning).

If Position 2 is selected on the lense, is the 5-axis IBIS still frantically trying to stabilise the panned image in every direction?

I asked my local Canon agents this question and they couldn't answer it but promised to enquire with Canon UK, as their interest was also piqued.

So far I am still waiting...

Can anyone enighten me on this? So far panned images using a EF100-400 IS2 L telephoto lens on my R6 with Position 2 IS selected are inferior to those from my 1DX, 5Dmk3 and 5DMk4, so I'm guessing the frantic 5-axis IBIS is happening! 

Thanks!

Announcements