cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Battery Life During Webcam Use

rswalkpics
Apprentice

I have the R6 (not model II) and installed the webcam utility. In limited testing as a webcam for Zoom meetings, it seemed to work okay plugged into my Windows 10 laptop with a USB-C cable. I am considering trying to use it as a webcam in a large meeting room to broadcast a 75 minute Zoom session and to record it to the Zoom cloud. My question concerns battery life. Will the battery last more than the 30 minutes or so I see as its limit when using the R6 as a video camera or is this restriction irrelevant when using it as a webcam and not recording to the SD card?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Also worth noting.  From a time standpoint, yes, you can use the R6 for a 75 min Zoom meeting.  The recording limit only applies when you are saving footage to a card.  In webcam mode, you are using the camera as a streaming device so battery life and heat would be the only concerns.  Do as Waddizzle recommends.  Buy a Canon AC adapter.  To host a zoom meeting greater than 30 min, you must have a paid Zoom account, not a free (personal) account which limits meetings to 30 min.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 30 minute time limit is unrelated to battery life.

If you are concerned about battery life, then I recommend that you use a Canon branded AC adapter kit.  Beware of the cheap knock-offs because they can damage your camera.  Most do not work as advertised because they seem to create ground loops and faults.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Also worth noting.  From a time standpoint, yes, you can use the R6 for a 75 min Zoom meeting.  The recording limit only applies when you are saving footage to a card.  In webcam mode, you are using the camera as a streaming device so battery life and heat would be the only concerns.  Do as Waddizzle recommends.  Buy a Canon AC adapter.  To host a zoom meeting greater than 30 min, you must have a paid Zoom account, not a free (personal) account which limits meetings to 30 min.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

This is the answer I was hoping for so I'll take that as being correct. I will still test it before the crucial meeting time.

Thank you.

Announcements