cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 purple banding/haze with strong light source in the picture

Uneternal
Contributor

So, I pulled the trigger on an EOS R5 this Black Friday. I guess somebody at Canon must have listened when I said Canon's sale prices are a bit underwhelming. Anyways I was super excited trying out the camera and loved all the resolution it gives you. But when l tried the dynamic range I was in for a ...

[Removed 3rd party link]

I noticed when I took a photo of my dog lit by a harsh sunlight but surrounded by shadows. When I pushed the shadows, suddenly a weird purple banding started to appear. It only seems to appear with harsh light sources and strong shadow pushes. I did another test with my EOS R vs the R5 and interestingly the R has some slight banding going on but none of that purple issue. And we're talking about an almost 8 year old sensor here (it is basically the sensor from the 5D4)!

ISO 100, f/4, Shadows +100, Exp +1.5 (EOS R5 vs EOS R)
I know this is an extreme push, but this purple banding/haze is definitely an issue.

EOS R5EOS R5EOS REOS R

I'd appreciate if somebody here could try to take a photo of a light source, push the shadows, and confirm this issue. Or do you think it could be my camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Seems to be more than 6 EV lifting in post. I got 6,956 EV when I measured the brightness from the right field in your JPEG and applied it to the raw file. No contrast applied.

Skärmbild från 2023-11-28 19-32-17.png

The purple cast is probably due to the black level. In Exif it is set to 511, but I think 512 looks better when pushed in post.

511 above, 512 below.

Skärmbild från 2023-11-28 19-37-30.png

I am surprised R handled it better, because I have seen many samples the other way round with R and a light source like that.

With that said your shadows are really down in the noise floor and very close to to the optical black area that should be pitch black, see the black frame left and top.

Skärmbild från 2023-11-28 19-49-28.png

If you try the same with my raw file here, 4737, from R6 I don't think you will see the same type of artifact because I didn't get near the noise floor.

Skärmbild från 2023-11-28 20-21-16.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Uneternal wrote:

So, I pulled the trigger on an EOS R5 this Black Friday. I guess somebody at Canon must have listened when I said Canon's sale prices are a bit underwhelming. Anyways I was super excited trying out the camera and loved all the resolution it gives you. But when l tried the dynamic range I was in for a ...

Cilla’s Surprise Surprise | Green Screen #meme #memes #surprise #briti... | surprise surprise cilla ... 

I noticed when I took a photo of my dog lit by a harsh sunlight but surrounded by shadows. When I pushed the shadows, suddenly a weird purple banding started to appear. It only seems to appear with harsh light sources and strong shadow pushes. I did another test with my EOS R vs the R5 and interestingly the R has some slight banding going on but none of that purple issue. And we're talking about an almost 8 year old sensor here (it is basically the sensor from the 5D4)!

ISO 100, f/4, Shadows +100, Exp +1.5 (EOS R5 vs EOS R)
I know this is an extreme push, but this purple banding/haze is definitely an issue.

EOS R5EOS R5EOS REOS R

I'd appreciate if somebody here could try to take a photo of a light source, push the shadows, and confirm this issue. Or do you think it could be my camera?

If you are going to participate here please don't embed junk in the message.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Uneternal,

Maybe what you missed is that my reply was at 7:31 AM this morning.  It was the first one.  Before Peter's excellent evaluation.    

shadowsports_0-1701226603552.png

Since your posts and replies are mostly critical of Canon and others who frankly are trying to help you, I'm going to bow out and let them continue working with you.  I wish you success with your R5.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements