cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 mirrorless file size/quality issue?

jordaneraines
Contributor

I got myself an R5 within the last few months and was having a great time with it for the first month, but around mid-September I started having some issues with the quality of my photos. I am a college student and we have access to "rent" equipment and I frequently borrow (EF) lenses from there. The first time I noticed the issue I was using one of these so I thought that was the problem, because I am almost positive that they are hardly cleaned. I tried it out with my (EF) lens (I can't afford any RF lenses yet so I haven't been able to try that out) and am having the same issues. I talked to my professors and they aren't sure because we haven't had a lot of mirrorless instruction yet. The advice I got was to reset all my settings which I did, and this helped a tiny bit I think but it's still obvious and the quality looks like the file is significantly smaller than it is. I have all my settings set to RAW, and shoot at the lowest ISO possible. I also have a Canon brand lens mount (B&H). I am really trying to avoid sending my camera in to Canon because I need it for classes, so I am wondering if I can receive some help here. 

The main issue I am having is the image quality gets pixely and grainy when you zoom in, but it gets this way zooming in not very far if that makes sense. As in, I should be able to zoom in that far (and more) and not see any quality issues or noise. It seems like the file size is small, and I know it's not any of the software I upload to because I can see the poor quality in-camera as well. Here are some example photos. 

Thanks so much! 

16-35mm lens, ISO 100, 1/250 sec, f/4.5, strobe fired16-35mm lens, ISO 100, 1/250 sec, f/4.5, strobe fired24-70mm lens, ISO 200, 1/125 sec, f/7.1, strobe fired24-70mm lens, ISO 200, 1/125 sec, f/7.1, strobe fired28-135mm, ISO 200, 1/50 sec, f/6.3, strobe fired28-135mm, ISO 200, 1/50 sec, f/6.3, strobe fired

12 REPLIES 12

Peter
Authority
Authority

You forgot to share the raw file.

sorry, they are uploaded now!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You forgot to describe the issue, and how we can reproduce it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

sorry, /i added that info and raw files!

Did you shrink these to post them? Full size R5 RAW files are not directly postable.

i converted them to JPEG but kept the highest quality

Lotus7
Rising Star

Providing a link to an image file would be helpful.

Are you using EF-S lenses with the EF-EOS R Adapter?

FYI: If the R5 is actually set to store images in Canon-RAW format, the CR3 image files should be roughly between 43 MB and 70 MB (depending on content), and of course should  be 8216 X 5480 px presuming the camera is set for maximum, full frame resolution.

If by chance you are using an EF-S lens the R5 will be set to "crop mode" and Canon RAW Files should be in the range of 20 to 28 MB with image files having no more than 5088 x 3392 px. There will, of course, be a corresponding loss of IQ with the lower resolution images.

Check your file EXIF data to find image format dimensions.

Edit:  Above posted before images were added.  Looks like all were shot with EF full-frame lenses

as lotus7 mentioned, providing a link to the actual file is more helpful than uploading the photo to this community site.  any photos uploaded gets resized and can't really get access to the actual file.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

How can I add a link? do I need to put it in a Google Drive folder or something along those lines? Sorry, this is my first ever forum post!

Announcements