cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 image sharpness

aidenbuviax
Contributor

using canon R5 on manual, electronic shutter, exp 1/4000 @ f 5,0 ,AI SERVO, ENLARGED + AF ZONE .,CLARITY ++. 400 2.8 WITH 1.4 TELE CON , all tracking functions all the way to  the right. using in daylight. need tack sharp images enlarged to 30 by 40 on photomechanic.. While most of the images are sharp at smaller sizes, only a few of each burst meet that criteria. I should have all the settings needed for shot after shot sharpness. I've shot pro sports for 30 years so it's not a lack of experience and I have the latest , greatest canon goodies. Would anyone have any suggestions for upping the sharpness. There are no heat waves on the playing surfaces this time of year. I really thought I always had sharp images till I started using Photomechanic. thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Is it possible that your combination of gear and camera settings are a perfect storm for degraded AF performance?  I think so.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

at this point anything is possible. I've been using x's   for so long   This R5 has all sorts of things that are brand new to me I thought I could solve the problem, but I can always use help. Any suggestions? thanks james

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest a do over.  You have too many pieces and moving parts to figure out what could be the issue. 

Test the camera and lens without anything else. Use the most basic camera settings, or even an automatic mode. Repeat the test with a different lens. 

excellent suggestion. I'll give it a try tonight. james

sceneit
Enthusiast

Based on what I've read, the R5 is slightly behind the R3 for this type of photography. The R3 is designed specifically for sports shooting with lenses like the 400 2.8. I would advise that you try out the R3. The R5 can do it but the R3 is meant to do what you're doing. It's a subtle difference but its there. 

It is a 5, 6, or 7 star camera except for one flaw. It freezes. I'm not the only person to report it either, but it basically becomes inoperable (controls stop working, you can't release shutter). I have to turn it off-and-on for it to come back to life

.not good for pro work yet. \thanks for your help james

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

using canon R5 on manual, electronic shutter, exp 1/4000 @ f 5,0 ,AI SERVO, ENLARGED + AF ZONE .,CLARITY ++. 400 2.8 WITH 1.4 TELE CON , all tracking functions all the way to  the right. using in daylight. need tack sharp images enlarged to 30 by 40 on photomechanic.”

I have not been successful in determining what “ENLARGED” is referring to.  I have been assuming that you are referring to one of the crop modes.  

In DSLRs, AI Servo does not normally wait for a focus lock prior firing the shutter.  This behavior can be changed using the Image Priority settings, which is something that R Series bodies seem to lack.  Curiously, you can adjust Release Priority for One Shot AF mode, but not for AI Servo.

I suggest that you set aside the 1.4x and retest.  I cannot say for certain if it degrades the focusing speed of the lens.  But it most certainly does not improve it.

If you are continuing to experience issues, please post a sample photo that includes the EXIF data.

ENHANCED  AF . SORRY, SWITCHED TO SPOT WITH AND WITHOUT THE COVERTER AND IT WORKED MIRACULOUSLY.. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME OUT. IF I HAVE ANOTHER PROBLEM  I KNOW WHERE TO GO. JAMES

Announcements