cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Mark II temp warning while taking pictures

leestuar1970
Apprentice

Hi, Has anyone had the temp warning while taking pictures with the R5 mark 2? I notice the temp warning coming on while taking pictures. I do have the battery grip with the fan and it will reduce the heat, but I am only taking pictures. I do notice that it takes longer to see the temp warning if i do not have the grip on ( maybe because the ventilation holes on the bottom are not covered). Last i did call B&H tech support and they mention i should be using the Type B card not the type 2 and I still see the temp warning symbol. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Tell us about your shooting conditions.  How can I reproduce this error?  How long does it take for the warning to appear?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

leestuar1970
Apprentice

Hi Waddizzle,

i have seen the high temp warning in various conditions, but most recently 64 degrees outside ( sunny outside), using CF card, Mechanical shutter, battery grip ( with the fan but not on). I have a guess that when i don't run the fan on the grip it blocks the ventilation holes on the bottom of the camera. I will have another shoot on thursday and will try without the batter grip. also the warning comes on at various times example last time was after 64 photos and another time inside a gym after 180 photos ( but i was in electronic shutter mode shooting 30 fps). Thanks for your help

@leestuar1970 wrote:

Hi Waddizzle,

i have seen the high temp warning in various conditions, but most recently 64 degrees outside ( sunny outside), using CF card, Mechanical shutter, battery grip ( with the fan but not on).

I have a guess that when i don't run the fan on the grip it blocks the ventilation holes on the bottom of the camera. I will have another shoot on thursday and will try without the batter grip. also the warning comes on at various times example last time was after 64 photos and another time inside a gym after 180 photos ( but i was in electronic shutter mode shooting 30 fps). Thanks for your help

Thanks, for the update!

If you. Have the grip with the fan, then I think you should turn on the fan.  You’re probably correct to conclude that the grip could be blocking the ventilation holes in the main body.

It is not clear how much time elapses before you begin to see heat warnings.  How many minutes have elapsed to take 64 photos?  What are you doing between shots?  Does the camera ever go to sleep between your shots.

Lastly, are you shooting stills, videos, or a combination of both?  How many minutes does it take to capture 180 shots at 30 fps?  That sounds like a little more than 6 seconds, to me.  I am sure it takes you more time than that, though.  

How many minutes elapse before you see the warnings?  

Are you shooting from a tripod with the rear display on between shots?

I still do not know how to recreate your issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

leestuar1970
Apprentice

its really is random ( Hot and cold climate conditions) time when I have seen the warning indicator come on. the last time I saw the heat indicator was after shooting 64 shots at within 30 mins. I left the camera on, but I didn't let it go to sleep ( I was waiting for action). lastly I only take picture and no video. I only shoot handheld and I do have my rear display on with it turning off when I look through the EVF.( also the Display and EVF are default brightness). Do you have the grip with the Fan? Thank you for your response

Announcements