cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Mark II: Can't set very short exposures times in AV

emonk
Apprentice

One of the reasons I purchased the R5 Mark II was the very short exposure times when using e-shutter. However, I usually use AV and was surprised to find out that when using this mode, I can't use exposure times shorter than 1/8000sec. 

Why was this limit set? Can it be removed (without switching to Tv or M)?

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please see C.Fn Exposure. > Set shutter speed range for an explanation.

https://cam.start.canon/en/C017/manual/html/UG-09_Custom_0030.html

In [P] or [Av] mode, or in [Fv] mode with shutter speed set to [AUTO], the shutter speed is set automatically within your specified range (except for movie recording).

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm sorry, but this is not a solution. Set the camera to electronic shutter, Av and very high ISO value, open the aperture and point it at bright source of light. You will see that instead of dropping to shorter exposure than 1/8000, the time display blinks and does not go further down. Only on M and Tv modes you can (manually) set it to anything shorter. 

The camera has complete control over shutter speed in Av mode.  That’s the point for selecting it.  Similarly, selecting Tv mode allows the user to set shutter speed while the camera has complete control over aperture. 

If you want direct control of shutter and aperture, then you should use M mode. Using Fv mode is another option, but it is merely a hybrid of the other modes. I don’t use it because I don’t change my mode often enough to need it. 

When things blink in the display, that’s usually a sign that something you’re doing is wrong and the camera is asking for help. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Let's assume that I know what AV mode means. Let's also assume that I own those f/1.2 prime lenses and I live in a very sunny place. Let's think of a hypothetical situation in which I want to ise the camera in full daylight, with open aperture. In this situation, even lowering the ISO to 50 won't be enough and I will still get the blinking exposure value, which means that the picture is over exposed. In this situation, I would expect the camera to lower the exposure time to shorter than 1/8000sec, but it won't. The cameta is capable, so... Why not?

FYI: My old Fuji X-T3 did it. There was even a special mode which automatically switched from mechanical to electronic shutter when it found that it needed shorter exposure times. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You need to use Tv (Note note 1):

Untitled.jpg

Announcements