cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 How can I check my camera validity?

fima
Contributor

Hello, I've purchased my Canon EOS R5 from a third-party seller through Walmart in USA.
My camera's serial number starts with 25222... 
I tried to register the product through https://myprofile.americas.canon.com/us/addProducts but it says:

The serial number you have entered is invalid for one or more of the following reasons:
1) The serial number does not match the product you have selected (FCC ID which starts with “AZD” is often mistaken for serial number.)
2) The serial number entered indicates this product was not intended for sale in the United States and is ineligible for registration and support in the U.S.
Please verify your product model and serial number to ensure they were entered correctly.

How can I make sure that the camera is from Canon?

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You can see if the seller is an authorized seller here: Canon Learning | Authorized Dealers | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

If the price you paid is less than the Canon eStore or an authorized seller like B&H it is a good chance it is a gray market product.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I searched for the only dealer in Tennessee by name. I found the name and then clicked on the website. Domain name is for sale so seems the place of out of business? There were several listed in Georgia. Need to track down the closest to SE TN. Thanks for the link, John.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

For cameras, the serial number you enter is the last 10 digits from right to left. Example in red

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We hope you haven't received a gray market product.  Deals which appear to good to be true can be.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you. I have just tried last 10 digits - the same. Also Canon says: The serial number for your EOS camera will generally be 12 digits long.

fima
Contributor

I've just called to Canon, so they confirmed it's a legit Canon camera built in Japan but not implied for selling in US. Most probably in Asia.

fima
Contributor

Hello,

So I've bought this EOS R5 from Walmart (New York). The serial number begins with 2522XXXXXXXX (12 digits long).
Canon website can not recognize this serial number. On the official Canon support phone call line they confirmed the camera is legit but is not for sale in USA (the third and fourth digits in the serial number should be either 20 or 21, not 22).

Could someone say what country for '22' is?

@fima wrote:

Hello,

So I've bought this EOS R5 from Walmart (New York). The serial number begins with 2522XXXXXXXX (12 digits long).
Canon website can not recognize this serial number. On the official Canon support phone call line they confirmed the camera is legit but is not for sale in USA (the third and fourth digits in the serial number should be either 20 or 21, not 22).

Could someone say what country for '22' is?

I have no idea. But it doesn't really matter.

The camera you bought is a gray market item. This means the company that sold it to you went somewhere overseas where they could buy wholesale at a discount and/or there was a monetary exchange rate favorable to them, then unofficially imported the item themselves. They also are probably not an authorized Canon dealer.

The camera itself was made by Canon and functionally the same, but may have a menu in another language, may come with a user manual in another language, may have a different type of battery charger and may come in different packaging.

Besides what's noted above, what this means to you is that as a gray market item there's no Canon USA warranty coverage for it. Such a warranty may only ever become important if you need repair. Without warranty, you will be able to get it fixed, but it will be at your expense.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

You're absolutely right, Alan. Camera and its manuals are all in English, no problem with it. I've also tried to upgrade the firmware - also went smoothly. I have to think (I'm still eligible for return), the price difference was like $350 which might be enough for a minor repair works if needed within the next year.

I only think, if with time I decide to sell the camera, it might trigger the potential buyers as every serial number verification failed to recognize the serial number. It was intended to be for some Asia market probably.

Canon is more liberal in their approach to gray market compared to some other manufacturers. Nikon will not repair gray market, even for pay. 

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-store/shopping-help/gray-market.page

Nikon also doesn't sell repair parts to independent repair shops. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements