cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Err 70

MBP
Apprentice

I just received a new EOS R5 and out of the box I was getting an err 70 lockup. I thought updating the firmware would resolve the problem but the err 70 continues. I have now received a message 20 or 25 times over the course of 100 frames. Is the a comen problem?

32 REPLIES 32

Insight32 - thanks for your response and sharing your experience. I just don't understand why Canon, as far as I can see from searching the web, has no official statement/response/solution/fix to what seems to be a pretty prevalent problem. This simply should not happen on a flagship camera (or any camera made by Canon) fresh out of the box. Can you imagine purchasing a brand new Mercedes Benz S580 and 2 days after  you drive it out of the showroom you get an error message on the dashboard that says - "Error 70 - car unable to operate. Try turning the car off and restarting the engine" - and Mercedes remained quiet and pretended that there was not a problem??? If there all of these threads all over the web regarding the "Error 70" problem - where is the official response from Canon on what is obviously a serious and recurring problem???

I don’t disagree.    I’ve been a Canon user for over 25 years and have never had any problems with their cameras, so it surprised me as well.    Err 70 has been around for years in virtually all models, but has never been an issue I’ve ever come across.  You can google “Err 70” and find articles from the cameras in 2008, and so on.  You can also google “Sony camera error” and find a ton of posts as well.    The only thing that surprised me about this error 70 is that it affected me and that Canon, like you mentioned, doesn’t seem to addressing it - privately or publicly.  

Can we get an "AMEN!" on that?!?!

GERPhoto
Apprentice

I also have the same issue.  R5. RF 15-35mm F2.8 IS.  San Disk Pro Extreme CF Express and San Disk Extreme Pro SD Card.  I have had zero issues til now. First time I removed the CF Express card to upload images to my Macbook Pro and now my R5 doesn't work when the CF Express card is in the camera.  Bought a bran new CF Express card and still has the same issue.  Turning the camera off / taking the battery out and turning back on does not fix it,  as long as the CF Express card is in there it won't work at all and the memory card write red light stays lit until I remove the battery.  I downgraded from Firmware 1.6 to 1.3 and no go.  Then went back to Firmware 1.6 again.  I open a repair case with Canon but I don't get it.  I have never had any issues with My D60, 5D Mark II and for the first 2 years my R5 has been good til now.  Somerthing happened after I took the CF Express card out.  the card reads and writes fine on my MacBook Pro.  ??????

ChristianPasser
Apprentice

I also have the same problem. Bought the R5 recently, immediately installed the latest firmware (1.6.0), and went in the field. First pictures, first time Err 70. This happened randomly over several days, with no apparent pattern, with different EF lenses with 2 different adapters, as well as with RF lenses. I use the fastest SD and CFexpress Type B cards. 

Today I decided to downgrade to firmware 1.5.1 and reinstall 1.5.2 first, and 1.6.0 last. The problem appeared with both the latter firmwares. So I downgraded back to 1.5.1, and the problem seems (I repeat, seems) to be solved. Which is quite bad since I would like to use the latest firmware which had solved the overheating issues in video mode. I hope Canon will release soon a new firmware which solves all the problems. 

ishTAKESphotos
Apprentice

Also on the same boat as you all! Tried everything, and still get the error 70 ON A NEW BODY! my trusty 5D iv never looked more attractive. I wonder if we're the only ones who deal with this? Or maybe all the YouTube photographers or well known photographers just don't mention it. who knows.

I'll be sending over my camera soon to them, lets hope they fix this! this is totally unacceptable. if someone tells me if I tried taking out the battery and replacing it, I will absolutely lose it lol.

dliebowitz
Contributor

I encountered this infuriating problem straight out of the box, brand new R5. I s/w B&H where I purchased the R5. They told me to bring it in and they exchanged it immediately for another brand new R5. No questions asked. I have never encountered the Err 70 error message again with the new replacement R5. I would run, not walk back to your vendor and request a return or trade for identical new R5. This is a known issue. btw... with the Err 70 behind me, I absolutely love the R5, I cannot say enough good things about this camera. I love it.

Shooting timelapse I can make any R5 fail with an error 70 using a lens stopped down from wide open. It sometimes takes 180 shots. other time 300 shots but it will fail randomly. It will fail shooting regular stills as well but since it can take hundreds of shots to fail many people may rarely ever get the message

NattyA
Apprentice

Hi there. I am also experiencing the dreaded ERR 70 on my Canon R5 just purchased at Christmas with an adaptor. Whenever the error occurs I lose all the photos that I’ve previously taken. This occurred at a wedding I was shooting last week where the error happened right after the bride and grooms entrance and I lost all the photos of their entrance as a result! I have another wedding to shoot this weekend and I’m terrified to use this camera!! 

I’ve been back to CameraHouse where I purchased it 4 times now to try to rectify the issue to no avail. First they told me it could be the memory card so I dropped $400 on a new card. Then they said it could be the firmware so I updated the firmware and same issue. I’m hesitant to go and fork out more $$$ for an RF lens as reading here, this doesn’t always fix the issue. 

I also have multiple shoots a week and can’t find a free block of time to send the thing off. 

feeling super frustrated that this very expensive camera has given me nothing but issues. 

Greetings ,

This thread is over a year old. Please start a new thread and tell us about your hardware. The adapter you're using brand / model and the lenses you are experiencing this issue with.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements