cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Battery Storage & Firmware Updates

Ettannen
Apprentice

just purchased a EOS R5, Is it adviseable to remove the  battery when the camera will be in extended storage ? also, do I need to do all firmware up dates, even if they are for a feature that I do not use ? 

6 REPLIES 6

Peter
Authority
Authority

Li-Ion should be stored 40-50% in a cool and dry place if you don't use camera for a while.

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

ideally.  leaving in the camera will have a slight draw as the top LCD still gets powered.  I have the R5 grip and I just remove the grip (with batteries still in grip).

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Michaelhunt
Contributor

It is always a good practice to remove the batteries from your camera when it is not being used. If you leave the batteries in your cameras unused. Tgr Batteries will get discharged automatically, not only that if if finds little moisture not only your batteries will get rusted. Your camera will be adversely affected which may lead to failure of internal chios(IC). Remember that rechargeable batteries grow less powerful the more you use them. It's advisable to keep a spare at hand.  HEB Partner

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I find that the R5 in particular runs batteries down fairly quickly if you're not using it, like for days to weeks; so I take them out.

As for firmware updates -- you don't ever need to apply a firmware update.  Personally I prefer to keep all my kit up to date with firmware, although it's much less of a priority if I don't see anything interesting in the update description.  However:

• the release notes will never list all the big bug fixes that might be in there, so staying up to date will usually result in a general improvment in quality and reliability
  • it's always pssible that a new firmware release will break something

So... I guess I would recommend waiting a little, after new firmware comes out, to see if the eager beavers (like me) report any issues.  But then, yes, my approach would be to update.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Ettannen,

To add, I'm in agreement with the guys regarding removing batteries and storage when not using the camera for extended periods.  Better for the camera and you.    

Firmware:

At this point the latest available FW for the R5 includes some pretty significant feature and performance updates.

If your camera is using FW v1.5.2 or earlier, I would upgrade to v1.6.0 (at minimum) or v1.7.0

The new additions in v1.6.0 were significant.  You can go straight to v1.7.0 as well, regardless of the version you are running now.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Simple answer, yes to number one and no to number two.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements