cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R3 Top LCD screen stays on when camera is off

Ddad
Contributor

Hi all, when I turn off my R3 the top LCD screen shows the last mode the camera was in and stays in standby mode. I'm trying to find the menu option to completely turn this off like when you remove the battery! Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I have both R5 and R6 series (I and II) MILC's and they all display the last mode used on the top LCD when switched off, but they are not in standby. Are you sure it is in "standby"? Does the camera come on when you press the shutter or any other button after you've switched it off?

Newton

I used the wrong term (Standby), the camera is off but I believe some battery is being drained with the modes showing. I was hopping there was a way to completely shut the camera down like when the battery is removed. Thanks for the info.

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I agree with Newton.  I have both cameras too and when the camera is turned off the LCD still displays the last mode. I have not seen a significant drain on the batteries.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I was hopping there was a way to completely shut the camera down like when the battery is removed. So far it's looking like this is not an option. Thanks for the reply.

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Monochrome LCD displays, like the one on the top of your camera, use virtually no power.  That's why they leave it set -- it gives you useful information and costs basically nothing.  The batteries probably self-drain faster than the LCD is draining them.

This would be different if the backlight is on, and note that colour LCDs -- like your camera's main display -- rely on a powerful backlight, and hence use LOADS of power.

Thanks

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Join the dark side. The LCD on my and Ian's cameras turns actual black when "off", battery still inserted.  

shadowsports_0-1728594562226.png

I though all pro mirrorless behaved this way.  Now I know they don't.  😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I wish, thanks

Thanks for the clarification Rick -- I had actually, wrongly, thsought that the R5C's top display stayed on.  I now see that it doesn't.

I think I was confused because the R5's top LCD does stay on -- see my review, @ 19:07.  https://moonblink.info/MudLake/gear#R5

I wonder if the R5C's doesn't do this because the R5C has 2 modes?  They can't leave relevant info on the display because they don't know what mode you're going to turn it on in.

In any case if the display stayed on it wouldn't bother me in the least.  Again, the power usage of that display is so low it would be hard to measure.

Announcements