EOS R3 Freezes

skramit
Contributor

Hello, I have read a few other threads about R3 freeezing. Some assume its realted to GPS or other connectivity, but I run in airplane mode 100% of the time.

I have experienced this freezing behavior occasionally, with multiple canon lenses. The only times it has frozen has been when multiple people subjects are in the VF, and I'm using eye-detection (and eye control). I believe there is some sort of bug related to eye detection in the AF and it freezes the whole camera with the only resolution being remove and reseat the battery.

I managed to capture an iphone photo of my VF when it froze this time round. But it has frozen with similar fast moving subjects like this in the past.

Anyone else experienced R3 freezing when AF is trying to detect multiple moving subjects?

EDIT: I'm on the latest firmware 1.7.1

8 REPLIES 8

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi skramit,
When the camera became unresponsive, were you firing a burst of images and/or recording to multiple cards? While the EOS R3's internal buffer is quite robust it will fill up at a certain point and the camera will then briefly pause as it finishes transferring images to the memory card.

The speed of your memory cards can be a factor in those cases. Please elaborate on the questions above and the type of memory cards you're using.

Nah it wasnt a big burst, just a couple of shots and I'm very used to the burst write speeds for my sport photography.

I had been using the camera all morning to that point and randomly it just freezes. It will stay frozen (although Ive never waited more than a few minutes). The only remedy is to remove battery to unfreeze it.

I am fairly sure it's something to do with the autofocus system as it only happens to me when I have multiple people in shot and its trying to focus.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What was the frame rate for your small burst?

Which card slot are you writing to?  What brand, type, and capacity are your cards?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It's not the cards. Ive tried different cards. (I'm using Sandisk Extreme Pro CF). I dont use the highest burst rate on the R3 either, usually H electronic shutter or Mechanical H which is slower, not H+.

The freezing only happens say once a month. On Sunday I shot sport for 8 hours and it froze once.

It can happen even when not taking photos, thats why I think its something to do with AF.

“ It can happen even when not taking photos, thats why I think it’s something to do with AF. “

I am not following your logic.  When you are not taking photos, the AF should be idle.  Given those circumstances, I would categorically rule out the AF system being the issue.  Look elsewhere.

Again, exactly what memory cards are you using?  Do you format your memory cards prior to first use?  

Have you double checked your wireless settings?  Instead of :Airplae Mode:, let;s actually disable the wireless communications.

Does the issue seem to be specific to one lens?  Do you have any accessories attached to the camera besides a Canon RF mount lens>

It can happen with a half press of the shutter button to engage the AF which starts tracking subjects and shows the little squares around subjects it's seen/tracked before. It can also happen half way through shooting as well.

Happens with multiple RF lenses. At first I thought it was one lens (RF 24-70 2.8 that I had Canon service it but they found no fault) but its happened on RF 100-400 as well since then.

Wireless is disabled, bluetooth is disabled, and it's in airplane mode. (Ive even tried factory reset a few times as well).

No other attachments on the camera (just tripod mount on the bottom), no flash.

It's a real head scratcher.... and so infrequent that it's not a deal breaker. But Just trying to help Canon get to the bottom of it if I can.

The iPhone photo I took of my VF last Sunday shows the state the AF was in when it froze. Pretty sure it froze on the half press. If theres a way to upload an attachment I could show you.

IMG_5989_2.jpg

EDIT: Found the image upload button. Note the square box around the back of the subjects head (pretty sure thats the "recognized subject" AF tracking feature thing.) Also note 99 in the buffer available so it's not hitting memory card limit at least in this freeze moment. And I just checked my RAWs from this days shoot and theres no photos of this moment in time as I wasnt activating the shutter - I have other shots just before and just after (I had to reset the camera battery for the cameras to work again).

I.suggest that you contact Canon Support so they can test your camera.

TallFlash
Apprentice

It sounds like you're dealing with a frustrating issue, especially since it interrupts your flow during sports photography. The fact that it only happens with multiple subjects in the frame makes it seem like the autofocus system might be getting overwhelmed. Removing the battery to unfreeze the camera isn't ideal, and I can imagine it's disruptive during a shoot. Maybe there's a firmware update or a setting adjustment that could help? It's definitely worth reaching out to the manufacturer or checking online forums to see if others have experienced the same problem. Hope you find a solution soon! CredibleBH

Announcements