cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R10 Not turning on with third party batteries

LuksaLM
Apprentice

Hello, I recently bought two spare third party LP-E17 batteries for my EOS R10, but even though they are fully charged, when I put them inside my camera, the camera doesn't turn on at all, no light flashing or anything. What could be the problem and is there anything I can do to get it to work with them? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

"The green one at the top" doesn't tell us much.  That looks like an Amazon or Ali Express battery/charger special. 

shadowsports_0-1700406127381.png

You're surprised a $9.00 charger doesn't work?  Thats not even worth returning.  I'd strongly suggest you not use this with your camera or its battery.  Thats pure junk.  Please don't risk your camera with it.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What brand are these batteries?  

The camera has protective circuitry, and specific power requirements to operate.  It might not work if the batteries don't meet these standards.  Its really best to use OEM batteries with your camera.  While I have used a 3rd party batteries successfully, I normally use OEM for best results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

17004038527885442507443496055697.jpg

 The green one at the top

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Canon has been "chipping" some of their battery packs for several years now and third party packs in some battery styles won't charge in a Canon charger.  This has been a known issue with the LP-E17 for some time and it sounds like they may be now doing the same with camera bodies to require the use of only Canon batteries.

I would more likely accept the argument that it is Canon protecting the body from low quality batteries IF it weren't for them producing the LP-E6N/NH series which are some of the most unreliable batteries I have ever had the displeasure of using.  In reality, it is just an extension of what has been done with ink printers for years and a continuation of producer behavior that led to the original Magnuson-Moss act and the more recent "right to repair" legislation. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

"The green one at the top" doesn't tell us much.  That looks like an Amazon or Ali Express battery/charger special. 

shadowsports_0-1700406127381.png

You're surprised a $9.00 charger doesn't work?  Thats not even worth returning.  I'd strongly suggest you not use this with your camera or its battery.  Thats pure junk.  Please don't risk your camera with it.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes those ones! I live in Europe, and unfortunatly those were the only LP-E17 batteries I could find, and I bought them because I wanted to avoid the situation from few days prior when I had a whole day shoot and had to charge my only battery twice. Fortunatly I now there are Canons own LP-E17 batteries available on amazon so I ordered them to avoid situations like these. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help me out! 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements