cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R not detected by PC via USB - Windows 10

rmqc
Contributor

I'm trying to connect my camera to my laptop to transfer my images. This has worked with all my previous cameras (DSLR), but with this one, Windows does not display it in the file manager. It does nothing.

Yes I've looked at other posts regarding this and no it has not solved my problem.

I've tried 2 different USB-C cables, and one USB-C to USB-A cable. I've tried all the USB ports on my laptop. I've tried with a different computer running Windows 11. All these cables, ports and laptops are working fine when connecting other devices.

I don't have an SD card slot in my laptop, nor do I want to use an external card reader There's a USB-C port on this camera, so there should be a way to connect it to my laptop no? What am I missing?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rmqc
Contributor

I called Canon support and they kept telling me that I needed their USB-C cable that's way too expensive, and I kept telling them that a USB-C cable is a USB-C cable, and that I tried 3 of them, and they all work with other devices but not my EOS R, but they would not let it go.

So I went to a local camera store to test the Canon IFC-100U cable that looks to me like a normal USB-C cable with two ferrite beads, and guess what? It's working!

I'm at a lost for words. I'm not an electronic expert, but apparently the Canon's USB-C cable (with its ferrite beads) is different enough from all the other USB-C cables I have, and with this one it works. So I bought it and everything is fixed. I still don't understand why thought.

Thank you all for your good suggestions!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Before you install the EOS Utility on your daughter's computer, try connecting the camera with the USB cable and see if you see the memory card in File Explorer.

I do not see anything in the file explorer. So I installed EOS Utility on my daughter's laptop and it's not working either.

rmqc
Contributor

I called Canon support and they kept telling me that I needed their USB-C cable that's way too expensive, and I kept telling them that a USB-C cable is a USB-C cable, and that I tried 3 of them, and they all work with other devices but not my EOS R, but they would not let it go.

So I went to a local camera store to test the Canon IFC-100U cable that looks to me like a normal USB-C cable with two ferrite beads, and guess what? It's working!

I'm at a lost for words. I'm not an electronic expert, but apparently the Canon's USB-C cable (with its ferrite beads) is different enough from all the other USB-C cables I have, and with this one it works. So I bought it and everything is fixed. I still don't understand why thought.

@rmqc wrote:

Great!  That is good news.  Ferrite beads reduce noise on the data lines.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I bought an Amazon Basic USB-C cable my computers don't have any problems connecting to our EOS R or RP. 

It works every time.

Bluebuilder
Apprentice

Ok, I just solved this problem after hours of headaches.

In Device Manager, check the USB Root Hub connected to the USB port you've plugged your camera into.  If you see an error listed, check to see what other device conflicts with the port.  In my case, Spacedesk was jamming things up and all problems went away when I uninstalled the Spacedesk device driver.  

To find out which USB Root Hub you're connected to, download the "USB Device Tree Viewer" freeware utility.

I hope this helps others.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements