cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R exposure compensation

BryanShaw1
Enthusiast

Hi,

I like to shoot in manual mode but with auto ISO. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to customise a control to enable exposure compensation. I have seen a video on this for the RP but I cannot find how to do it on the R. Grateful for any help. 

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In DSLRs you could program them [SET] button for exposure compensation.  I would expect it to work the same way in the MILC bodies.  Remember, it only works in M mode when ISO is set to Auto.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks, but my question relates specifically to the EOS R.

@BryanShaw1 wrote:

Thanks, but my question relates specifically to the EOS R.

I suggest that you go into the Custom Controls menu of your EOS R and program your [SET] button for Exposure Compensation.

amfoto1
Authority

I don't have an EOS R, but I do have a copy of the manual for it that I downloaded from the support area of the Canon website. They tell you how to set exposure compensation when shooting M + Auto ISO on page 139 of that  manual.

Exposure Compensation with ISO Auto

If the ISO speed is set to [AUTO] for manual exposure shooting, you can set exposure compensation (p. 154) as follows:

• Touch the exposure level indicator
  • [camera setting page 3] Expo.comp./AEB]
  • Quick Control screen

! If ISO Auto is set, the ISO speed setting will change to obtain the standard exposure with the set shutter speed and aperture. Therefore, you may not obtain the desired exposure effect. In such a case, set the exposure compensation.

• With the camera set to the [M] mode + ISO Auto + Evaluative Metering and [camera setting page 2] Meter, mode, AE locked after focus] set to the default setting (p.548), holding down the shutter button halfway will lock the ISO speed after focus is ach8ieved with One-Shot AF.
  • When ISO Auto is set, you can press the AE Lock button, to lock the ISO speed.
  • To compare the current exposure to the exposure when you pressed the AE Lock button initially with a manually set ISO speed, press the AE Lock button, recompose the shot, and check the exposure level indicator.
  • With ISO Auto set and [camera setting page 1: Exposure level increments] set to [1/2-stop], any 1/2-stop exposure compensation will be implemented with the ISO speed (1/3 stop) and shutter speed. However, the shutter speed displayed will not change.

I hope all this makes sense to you. It doesn't make much sense to me! 😁

By the way, M + Auto ISO is actually another auto exposure mode. It's no longer "manual", even though the camera is set to "M". The camera is taking over the job of determining and setting what it thinks is a correct exposure. Exposure compensation is used to override it and take back a bit of your control.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

“ By the way, M + Auto ISO is actually another auto exposure mode. It's no longer "manual", even though the camera is set to "M". The camera is taking over the job of determining and setting what it thinks is a correct exposure. Exposure compensation is used to override it and take back a bit of your control.

I agree.  I think of M Mode with ISO Auto as Ev mode, Exposure Priority.  It is a mode of operation that has been missing from Canon DSLR bodies for years.  

For maximum flexibility, the camera should be allowed to control any one, any two, or all three legs of the Exposure Triangle.  Canon’s early DSLRs did not allow you to set the camera to control only ISO.  

By the 2010s, DSLRs were being released that permitted you use ISO Auto in Manual mode.  Initially, there was no Exposure Compensation control, but it was later added.

[EDIT] The end result is that you can use the Main Dial to control Tv, the rear dial to control Av, and by holding [SET] and turning the Main Dial you can control Ev by varying the ISO.

I appreciate all your comments but is there an R owner out there who can fix my problem?

I can adjust the exposure with my finger on the LCD screen but I cannot see a way of doing it through the viewfinder.

Announcements