cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R: Why use C Log3?

KonaLyman
Contributor

hello everyone - Im a newbie with my Canon R8. Can you point me to a discussion about C Log3. Why shoot in C Log3? So far, I don't see any value in this setting. The image is dark, grayish and muddy.  Then to fix that, the Canon LUT is required which in itself has about 50 different choices. All this just to being the image back to normal. Whereas I can shoot my Sony AX700, drop it in Premiere and good to go. The R8 requires extra steps to get the same results. I've followed all the You Tube tutorials. I have the same questions. What are the benefits of C Log3?

thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/enhance-filmmaking-with-canon-log/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

thank you John. much appreciated.

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

... I can shoot my Sony AX700, drop it in Premiere and good to go

Did you know, you can do that with the R8 too? Just turn log off. You can find out how on page 377 of the advanced user guide.

... the Canon LUT is required which in itself has about 50 different choices

Yeah, the number of LUTs they supply is pretty bewildering. However, the files are actually named sensibly... once you understand the code. Basically:

• Ignore 1dlut, it's obsilete -- use 3dlut
  • Prefer 65grid, unless you have some old kit that only supports 33grid or 17grid
  • "full-to-full-range" is the next option -- ???
  • then pick the LUT that fits your needs. Probably "CinemaGamut_CanonLog3-to-BT709_WideDR_65_FF_Ver.2.0", because you will be going from Log3 to BT709. If you were producing for BT2020, you'd know.

That should be it.

But the bottom line for shooting log is if you don't know why you need it, then you don't need it.

BTW, if you do shoot log, apply your exposure correction BEFORE the LUT; otherwise there really is no point.

thank you Atticus: I experiment with your suggestions.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The article John referenced is great 👍.  If you get a chance, Atticuslake has a library of stunning videos.  I think most were taken near his home.  

This is my understanding of log.  Shooting in CLOG maximizes the DR a camera's sensor is capable of capturing.  Once the video is color graded you have the greatest rendering and control of tonal variance and detail in contrast and shadows.  Using it adds dimension between the darkest and lightest scenes of a video.  When captured it looks dull.  When color is added the difference in tonal variance (level of detail) is apparent.  It showcases how the filmmaker wants their video to "look and feel". It also allows you to control file size.      For reference - Specifications

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R8 (start.canon)

Movie Recording with and without log (4K example)

shadowsports_1-1714098764896.png

shadowsports_0-1714098709976.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

KonaLyman
Contributor

I don't know guys, frustration is creeping in. Hours and hours spent on this. Maybe Im not a DSLR kind of shooter. $2500 later and my video images are nowhere near what others are shooting. So, I need to shoot a muddy grey image then color correct so I can get a usable image. This correction is per clip. Every shot, color correct the grey footage. I shoot my iPhone on the same scene and wow! My Sony camera and wow! But the R8?  Facebook marketplace here I come.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Untitled.jpg

Note the "processed later in post production". If you want your movies to look good right out of the camera, you don't want CLog3. I suggest you reset your camera to its defaults and try again. I doubt that CLog3 is the default.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

It's not and you are right kv.

Ian made the same reference.  Shooting in LOG is not a requirement for good looking video.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements