cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R USB-C Backup to external SSD?

SonomaBear
Contributor

Can the R backup the SD card via USB-C cable to an external SSD?

This would help not having a sedcond card slot.  When in the field between sessions, I'd like to attach the SSD and have R backup the card to the SSD.  I could then swap cards knowing that I have two copies of every image taken.

This would also take the compouter out of my bag, replacing it with a tiny weather proof SSD.

***** Canon Firmware & Marketing: This is a good 90% answer to only one card! *****

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@SonomaBear wrote:

Can the R backup the SD card via USB-C cable to an external SSD?

This would help not having a sedcond card slot.  When in the field between sessions, I'd like to attach the SSD and have R backup the card to the SSD.  I could then swap cards knowing that I have two copies of every image taken.

This would also take the compouter out of my bag, replacing it with a tiny weather proof SSD.

***** Canon Firmware & Marketing: This is a good 90% answer to only one card! *****

Western Digital sells wireless external drives with a USB port that can be used to download SD cards via a card reader.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, Waddizzle -- I own two of them!  I'll probably sell one and buy the SSD version.

Today I read the cards into one of them between shoots and before storing the card.  

Never had a failure with these drives but some sessions can never be repeated.  

I'd feel better tethering to an iPad since I only have one card.  

I have lone USB-c cables that allow me to tether to an iPhone in my back pocket.  

Maybe I'll try that!  I was hoping to tether directly to a SSD...

@Waddizzle wrote:

I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 .

I don’t visit here all that often. Still using that tired old sig—and tired old software? Smiley Happy It amazes me that people who rent living quarters, subscribe to numerous utilities, including water, gas, electricity, cable TV, Internet service and cellular, subscribe to newspapers and other periodicals, lease automobiles, and make regular payments for myriad other purposes, are willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces to avoid a ridiculously cheap payment to Adobe for the world’s premiere photography apps, always up-to-date, and soon to include a full version of Photoshop for iPad Pro. One wonders what these obdurate people will do when their obsolete software will no longer run on modern OS’s (happening soon for Mac users). Give up digital and go back to film? Buy used PCs as long as they can find adequate ones?

Appearances notwithstanding, I’m not criticizing you or anyone else; just expressing my amusement at the logic.

MiniMikasa75
Apprentice

I have tried restoring formatted SD cards, but I had to retrieve the information via a special RAID DATA RECOVERY service. And you can also use the command line in Windows to restore manually. Then you can transfer the deleted or recovered data to an external drive for storage. But only photo and video files can be transferred there. Work documents cannot be stored there. But you will free up space on your PC or laptop. Obviously, you will lose all the files on the SD card when you format it. However, this does not mean that the data is completely erased. You can recover them too.

Announcements