cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R Serious Battery Drain – LCD Issue

1952bad
Contributor

I have Canon R, and it has served me well for years.  I often leave the camera on/off switch to ON, and the camera goes to sleep until I wake it up.  Recently, while the camera was sitting in sleep mode for a few days, the battery drained 100%.  This has never happened before.  After further investigation, the LCD screen would not turn off automatically, and the camera did not automatically go to sleep using the different Power Saving settings (Wrench Icon – Item #2).  This has always worked fine since the initial purchase.

So, I bought a new Canon LP-E6NH battery and confirmed that Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GPS are all disabled. 

Test one – Left camera on and turned the LCD screen around to eliminate the LCD remaining on – It drained overnight.

Test 2 – Programed the AF/On button to force the camera to sleep, which it did, and the LCD screen went off, but the battery drained overnight.

Test 3 – Turned on/off switch to OFF – Battery remained at 100%

Any ideas??

don

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What lens are you using 1st party (Canon) or a 3rd Party lens. If a Mount adapter is being used is it Canon or 3rd Party.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Canon RF 24-105 f4 L IS USM

Will it drain the battery with the lens removed.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Never considered that.  Testing now.

1952bad
Contributor

Took off the Canon Lens and set it down, and the battery drain was approx 50% in 3 hours.  Lens is Canon RF 24-105 f4 L IS USM.

Did the battery still drain down or not.

-Demetrius

1952bad
Contributor

Yes about a 50% drain down in about 3 hours.

Reset the camera and remove all accessories from the camera ie lens & SD Card. Also reset the camera back to factory default including Custom Function to factory default.

-Demetrius

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements