cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R Photos lack clarity, are blurry and out of focus

valsviews
Apprentice

Hello,

I've had the EOS R for a few months now and almost every single photo is slightly blurry or out of focus when zoomed in.  I was shooting with the Rebel SL2 for years before upgrading and never had this issue! I'm so used to my photos being crystal clear and extremely sharp but I don't get that same delivery on my EOS R. I've tried a variety of lenses, both RF & EF with the Canon adapter but I can't seem to get sharp, clear images the way I was able to on my older camera.  This is super stressful being that this camera was a huge investment for me. I've triple checked all of my settings and can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. When I zoom in, they look almost pixelated along with slightly grainy and out of focus. Yes, my shutter speed is high enough haha! If you have any clue as to why my photos are coming out softened, I would greatly appreciate your help! I tried to attach an image as an example but I'm having trouble resizing it. 

11 REPLIES 11

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Perhaps if you can create a link in a file-sharing platform to show us the original file?  Without details and sample images it is hard to diagnose your issues and thus help you until we know more.

In the meantime, perhaps you can try the obvious, just to eliminate them.  Can you please check and advise your resolution settings in the first tab, page 1, option 1 of your menu system?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hello! 
Here is a Google drive folder with some photo examples. The photo of the girl with long hair was on my SL2, the girl with short hair was taken on my EOS R.  I’ve included the RAW files, some screenshots, and the settings that were used for these photos. Thank you for your time! https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Ph1fWFtsdFAFpF4HjA-a3xN88jMEDV4

Thanks, I have downloaded the files.  Certainly, the CR3 file of the woman looks under-exposed and not in focus.  Can you please confirm if you were using manual or autofocus, and if the latter if you were using eye detection?  Also what firmware version is your camera set to?  The latest version is 1.8.0, which, if you don't have it is available at this link: HERE I have chosen the Australian site because it allows you to select your computer operating system, whereas the North American ones lock on to my computer's OS.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You were using different lenses. That just about throws out any ability to compare different IQ of the two cameras.

IMHO, the Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 Di USD Lens is a whole lot better lens than the Canon 50mm f1.8 STM.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

trvrlong
Apprentice

Any luck with this issue @Valsview? I know two photographers who sold their R for this exact issue. I'm currently in the same boat. "EOS R Photos lack clarity, are blurry and out of focus" Any help would be greatly appreciated!! It would be a shame to sell the camera based on those errors.

It is better that you start your own thread so we can separate your situation from Valsview.  That allows us to concentrate on your situation and avoids cross-talk and confusion when we address the wrong person.
Other information you could provide would be the lens or lenses you use, how you are shooting, what you are shooting and preferably some sample shots with EXIF data.

cheers, TREVOR

jrprochaska
Contributor

I recently had a very similar experience with an R7 and two EF lenses.  Since it was my first Canon mirrorless, I assumed it was some setting I was getting wrong.  I tried every setting I could think of and even posted on this forum, but nothing helped.  After some of my own controlled tests I found that one lens consistently back focused about 10 inches and the other front focused about 6.  I called Canon support and was told to send the R7 into Canon Factory Service.  That fixed my problem.  The service details were "examined and Electrical adjustments were performed".  The R7 was still in warranty so shipping and service were free.  Turnaround time was 10 days.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Front and back focus is a very misunderstood term. It doesn't mean the lens isn't sharp or has bad IQ. It simply means the lens critical focus point isn't where the camera thinks it is.

The vast majority of the time this happens it is user error. Of course front and back focusing does happen that's why higher end cameras have an adjustment for it. There once was a guy on the forum that thought micro focusing adjustments in the camera made the lens sharper. It does not. A lens is as sharp as it will ever be the day it is born.

If your lens has front or back focusing something in the picture will be or should be in proper focus. If not there are other issues to deal with.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I understand and agree completely.  I knew my lenses were sharp because I have thousands of sharp photos taken with four different DSLRs.  The subject in all of my R7 photos (several 100 over a few weeks) seemed soft with the same lenses in good light whether handheld, on a tripod, stabilized or non-stabilized.  The front and back focus issue became obvious when I examined some squirrel photos more closely.  Depending on which lens I used the grass either behind or in front of the squirrel was tack sharp.  Also, this was not a problem when I manually focused.  I don't understand why, but this is no longer an issue since I had the R7 serviced.

Announcements