cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Mark II Focus Help & Dark Eyes

jlc517
Contributor

I just recently purchased a Canon M50 Mark II and could really use some tips. I love photography, and wanted to purchase a camera to take photos of my babies, rather than just use my iPhone. I am a beginner though, so I am having difficult with focusing. It seems the photos never look crisp, especially when taken indoors. I’m experimenting with settings, rather than using the auto mode 

Also, it seems that everyone’s eyes always look black. Half my family has blue eyes, and they always look black. Do you know what I could be doing wrong?

I really appreciate all of the advice you can provide! Thank you so much! 

30 REPLIES 30

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have lenses I got around year 2000 that upon occasion I still or can use. Look it all depends on how you were raised and the time slot you live in.  At one time cameras did nothing more than click when you pressed the button. Cars did little more than move if you didn't do your part and even computers did nothing unless you manually input code lines.

Again, although not my first choice, the M50 Mk II can be viable for many years to come and it will still provide the same quality images that it does today. Same is true of the M lenses. The M series was simply a stop gap rush to market and never was expected to be long term, IMHO. Now with the success of the R series there is no good reason to continue the M line up.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I mostly agree with you, with the caveat that I believe a compact camera deserves a compact lens mount. I'm not saying the M line should have been continued, but Canon did trade some things away to standardize all new cameras on such a large mount.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, as always, the M line up is just a Powershot that has interchangeable lenses. The MK II is a big improvement over the M50 which I felt was not ready for prime time. There is nothing wrong with the M line up of lenses and some are truly very good.

The bottom line for the OP is Raw and a good editor (DPP4). Now go get the best from what you have.

EB

jlc517
Contributor

Thank you so much for all of  this valuable advice! Just to confirm, there is not a lense that I can purchase that could be interchangeable with other cameras, right? In case I end up buying another camera in the future? Thank you again! 

It will depend upon what lens you wish to purchase.  If you purchase more EF-M lenses, then no, you couldn't use them on other cameras (e.g. newer R-series).

If however you purchase EF or EF-S lenses (which will require an adapter for use with your M-series camera), you could later use them (again, via another adapter) with an R-series camera.

At this point though, I would recommend just saving up and eventually moving to the R-series line.   And, at that point, start purchasing RF lenses.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

You really only need one more lens from what you have said so far. The lens you have is a very good lens and no other in that category will offer you more. The place where you need to improve is when you shoot indoors and can not add more light. The EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM is again a very good lens, super sharp and as fast as they come. But here again all photography gear has its limits and even that fast EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM will have its limit too.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You know I can't fault that advice. I hate adapters and you will have to buy two. Wasted money and they are not particularly cheap. Use what you have as it will be viable for a very long time. Next time before you buy come here and seek some advice on the most current crop of gear. In a couple years what is out there now most likely will not be there.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Next time before you buy come here and seek some advice on the most current crop of gear. In a couple years what is out there now most likely will not be there.

That sounds like good advice, but while I respect your expertise, what a seasoned professional or even a serious hobbyist without a limited budget would recommend as the best camera for a newbie isn't necessarily the right advice. I bought my M50 Mark II a year and a half ago. I made the decision on my own by considering features, price, reviews, type (mirrorless vs. DSLR, which is a distinction I wasn't aware of until I was a ways into my search) and brand (I knew Canon was very popular, but I did look at other brands) rather than seeking advice in a forum like this. To this day I don't believe there was another camera available at the time within my budget that would have served my needs as well as the M50 is, but what would you have recommended at the time? Would you have relegated me to using a T7 for the next 8 or 10 years? (And no, I'm not implying that I would recommend someone buy an M50 today, at least not generally for most people.)

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, I would never and I never did recommend anyone buy an M series camera. Doesn't matter beginner or pro. I  also, very rarely to never recommend any one buy a T3,T7, or T8. But that is my opinion and may or may not be yours. It is fantastic you love your M50 Mk II and I hope the OP does the same. My forum friend Rodger has a M50 MK II and he loves it, too.  They are not for me and thus I can't and don't recommend them form my view point. 

People can, if they choose to, come here and get several opinions about gear. Some guys here are just passing along You Tube videos they have watched (they must spend a lifetime watching You Tube) but I base my recommendations on actual work out in the field, real world, of 50+ years.

I am also not a fan of the SL series, I don't recommend them either.

EB

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I share many of Ernie's views on the M and was the one who initially said, pump the brakes and return if possible.  Learning later this was not possible due to purchase timeline. So moving forward from here.   

For the M series, I liked the 55-200mm as a compliment to the 15-45mm  While it doesn't give a high degree of bokeh, it is fairly easy to fill up your frame without having to zoom with your feet.  It can be had used many places.  

Having at least one fast lens is always helpful when you are shooting indoors.  As mentioned earlier, the 32mm f1.4 would be a great choice.  Given the platform, I'd try to do as much of this used as possible.  I'd enjoy the camera and spend time gaining experience and increasing my skills.  This is probably as far as I'd go with this platform.  Somewhere down the line, another body and in this case, lenses would be something to aspire to.  Until that day comes, make those memories.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements