cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M200 lense jammed

lizcasper
Apprentice

Hello! 

I recently dropped my EOS M200 camera while the lens was zoomed out. It's now stuck in the middle position and a bit off kilter. I am unable to zoom in or out. The rest of the camera works just fine. Does anyone have any at home solutions to fix a jammed lens? 

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Really if the lens has that much damage on the mechanics, it is also likely to have lens element misalignments and a 'home repair' just won't cut it.  If you are insured perhaps log a claim and pay for a professional to fix it. The question is whether it is worth having it repaired or replacing it?   What lens are you referring to? 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I was wondering the same. It feels like something was "dislodged" and is blocking the mechanism from turning. I've struggled to find any sort of camera repair center locally. 

My camera came with the EF-M 15-45mm IS lens

That's a common kit lens, frankly instead of repairing it I would look for a good refurbished one from the Canon store, or from another reliable source.  The should be quite a few of them out there.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Since Trevor is most likely correct you have nothing to lose by trying to snap the lens back into position. 

Study the orientation your lens is in. Make a best judgement on the direction to push to restore the lens back to the central position.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

JosephGoodw
Apprentice

Having a similar problem. So my wife is obsessed with taking photos, and she's always had just good ol' point and click cameras. Now that we have two young daughters, she's really into capturing their every move. Her last camera was pretty shoddy, so I went out for Christmas and bought her the Canon M200, thinking this would be a nice step up from the point and click types, but wouldn't be a full on SLR, so it wouldn't be that intimidating.

Well... she opened the gift this morning and she really loved it, until she started using it and realized the lens doesn't auto retract with a zoom button on the cameras. Instead, there's a little switch on the actual lens and you have to twist the lens to zoom in or zoom out etc. She obviously was still happy with the photos the camera took, but I can tell this was a bit of a bust for her as she is so used to just being able to zoom in/out with the flick of a button.

We're sort of stuck with this now (which is kind of a **bleep**ty way to think of a gift) but anyway, is there any auto retracting lenses for this camera, does anyone know? What's weird is the button on the top right has the little flick/lever that you normally would zoom in/out with, but it only works magnifying existing images you've already taken.

This was clearly an oversight on my part, I am not that well versed on camera's at all, and just assumed they all had the auto retractable lenses.                                                    OneCognizant.Cognizant.com Login

Any light shed on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Canon make several such lenses in the EF-M series: the 15-45 and 11-22.  There is no way of just retracting the lens in either case.  All other Canon EF-M lenses are manual zoom lenses (like the two above) but without the collapsing button.   Unlike compact, or point and shoot cameras, no lenses from an interchangeable camera will retract into the body.

Other makers such a Fuji use the full self-retracting mechanism to shrink the lens closer to the body, but that too has drawn criticism from some users for exactly the same reason - i.e. control over the camera.  Frankly, if it is just a situation of getting used to it for this kind of camera, I can assure you that it becomes second nature in a fairly short period.  It's a pay-off for a much more flexible system.

If you want to get her a lens that does not use a button to collapse the lens, then the EF-M18-55 and 18-150 lenses from Canon are available for this mount but will stick out quite a bit compared to the lens you have.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements