cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M10 questions

jsprenkle
Apprentice

Good afternoon, I had two questions while trying to decide on purchasing this camera.

• Is there a mechanical switch remote control available or is it only through the app? (I want to use an arduino to remote control the camera)
  • Can I download images from the camera, via nfc or wifi, without using an app or proprietary device? My phone is old (android 4.1) and my experience with apps that work has been very poor.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The Canon EOS M10 looks fairly similar to Canon’s lead camera, the EOS M3 but without the main manual controls. It has an ultra-simple design, providing accessibility through being a largely point-and-shoot model. The goal of the EOS M10 is to provide a step-up to users from a smartphone or from a compact camera to an interchangeable lens camera. Better image quality and other features in a compact camera.

The M10 has Wi-Fi and NFC wireless connectivity that is compatible with the Canon Camera Connect app (iOS and Android) for both file transfer and remote control operation. The camera is also compatible with the Canon Connect Station CS100.

Hope that helps.

Actually I have been considering one.  But I am going for the M3 and I am going to recommend you look at the M3 also.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The Canon EOS M10 looks fairly similar to Canon’s lead camera, the EOS M3 but without the main manual controls. It has an ultra-simple design, providing accessibility through being a largely point-and-shoot model. The goal of the EOS M10 is to provide a step-up to users from a smartphone or from a compact camera to an interchangeable lens camera. Better image quality and other features in a compact camera.

The M10 has Wi-Fi and NFC wireless connectivity that is compatible with the Canon Camera Connect app (iOS and Android) for both file transfer and remote control operation. The camera is also compatible with the Canon Connect Station CS100.

Hope that helps.

Actually I have been considering one.  But I am going for the M3 and I am going to recommend you look at the M3 also.

EB

Thanks, I'll look at the M3 as well.

My phone runs android 4.1 and manufacturers never upgrade those things. There are quite a few apps that require the latest version of android. I was going to try to look up the m10 app in the app store today and see if it installs on my phone. I hoped not to have to buy a connect station or a new phone just to use the camera.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If interchangeable lens is not you long suit, take a look at the Powershot G1x II.

EB

Have you used the Powershot G1x II for macro?  What did you think?

I currently own the G1x.  I don't have a G1x II but the thing they improved mostly on the new model is the lens.

How can I tell if the macro is at the level you want?  All I can say is, on the G1x it is as good as a fixed P&S is likely to be.  It should be even better on the newer G1x II.

Don't under estimate the top of the line Canon Powershot cameras.  I know many pros besides myself that carries one all the time. But the M3 is solidly at the level of real DSLR Rebel cameras.  If you do need as good as it gets, than the M3 is the way to go.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I currently own the G1x.  I don't have a G1x II but the thing they improved mostly on the new model is the lens.

How can I tell if the macro is at the level you want?  All I can say is, on the G1x it is as good as a fixed P&S is likely to be.  It should be even better on the newer G1x II.

Don't under estimate the top of the line Canon Powershot cameras.  I know many pros besides myself that carries one all the time. But the M3 is solidly at the level of real DSLR Rebel cameras.  If you do need as good as it gets, than the M3 is the way to go.

But are any of the M series cameras usable in bright sunlight?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"But are any of the M series cameras usable in bright sunlight?"

Bob from Boston,

Mirrorless cameras have a long way to go yet. They just aren't ready for prime time! Bright daylight is just one of the many reasons to not buy one.  But the M3 is the best bet from Canon.  And they have their place. I always carry my G1x and a G15 before that.  When you need it, you need it.

EB

"But are any of the M series cameras usable in bright sunlight?" 

There is a viewfinder available for the M3, which I think also works with the M10.  Plus, the same viewfinder can work with a couple of "G" series cameras, including the G1.  I am viewfinder bound.  I wouldn't buy one of those types of cameras without one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"There is a viewfinder available for the M3, ..."

Yeah, there is but it is approx $200 bucks, additional. The camera is around $475 (They were $675!) right now.     So you are going to be in it for nearly $700 bucks, today.  This is for something you don't need, nor desire, 80% of the time.  Mirrorless is just not there, ... yet!  But this is the best Canon has.

EB
Announcements