cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Digital Rebel XSi: Compatible lenses for sports

jessicaapereira
Apprentice

HI everyone, i just bought of my friend a Canon Eos Rebel xsi. I bought because my son palay soccer and i will take photos of him. I would like to know if this camera is good for sports and what lenses is better.

thank you 

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is a pretty old camera, but it should still work OK. What lens do you have? What is your budget?

jessicaapereira
Apprentice

I never to do this before. Is my first camera so, i don't know nothing. You think is better for me to buy a new one ? I saw the lenses and the cost is $199 right ? My budget is $200 for start

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Where did you "see" the lenses? Again, do you have any lenses?

I have 18-55mm only. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

A good lens that won't break the budget too much is the EF-S 55-250, that will let you get closer in to the action.

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

The XSi tops out at ISO 1600 which means it is only going to be useful for games that are in daylight so depending upon when your son plays, your camera may not produce usable images unless you have excellent lighting.  That issue is made worse by needing to crop if you aren't close enough and having lenses that don't let in a lot of light (lenses that work well in low light get expensive quickly).

If his games are primarily during the day, then the XSi is worth trying but if the games are played at night then I would be looking for deals on other used bodies.  That camera design is around 16 years old now and sensors have improved markedly over that time period with huge gains made in the 2015-2020 era.

I starting coaching youth soccer shortly before your camera model was produced and I was using a Canon 1D Mark II which was their top sports camera of the time.  It had a maximum ISO of 3,200 and even using an expensive (around $2,000) lens the images once the sun went down were pretty bad.

You don't need brand new but I would look for a deal on a much more recent used camera.  I hate phone cameras but a lot of them will now have better performance than a camera from 2008.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"A good lens that won't break the budget too much is the EF-S 55-250, that will let you get closer in to the action."

I second that recommendation. It is about as good as it gets for your Rebel XSi. Avoid the various 300mm zooms.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements