cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D stopped focusing

erinlacross
Apprentice

I have had my EOS 90D for about 8 months and have loved it. All of the sudden, though, it will not focus at all when I press the shutter button halfway. I’ve followed several tutorials to make sure my settings are correct, I have cleaned the sensor and contacts. Any other suggestions or do I assume it needs repaired at this point?

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Is the lens AF/MF switch set to AF if it is test with a different lens. DO you have AF setup for back button focus with the AF-ON Button or * Button.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Lens is set to AF. Happens no matter which lens I have attached. I do not have it set up for back button focus. I just double checked that.

Have you tried using the AF-ON button to see what happens. Does the camera report MF instead of AF on the top LCD screen or rear LCD screen. IF it says AF reset the camera back to factory default including the custom function menu. Also what lenses are you using with your camera list the full name of the lens(es) that your using. Will it AF during live view instead of viewfinder. The viewfinder and live view use completely different methods for AF.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

My two lenses are the Canon EFS 18-135mm and the Canon 70-200mm. It’s not reporting MF instead of AF. I’ve attempted the AF-ON with no change. I also did reset to factory settings. Nothing different with viewfinder closed either. I’ve tried everything I could find online as recommendations.

Can you please provide the full name of ALL the lenses your using. Some of Canon's lenses are focus by wire. Such as Nano USM, STM & early Ring Type USM lenses. So those lenses won't manual focus without the AF Start not working. Did you reset the custom functions back to factory too. What do you mean by the viewfinder covered. Did you use live view (the rear LCD screen) to take a picture.

-Demetrius

Minux
Apprentice

I have exactly the same problem BUT it works on the full automatic modus the green , but not on all other Av, Tv and M. Can you help?

I have encountered the same problem. Have you found a fix?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi @Minux,

Since this is an older topic, I recommend starting a new thread so your issue can receive the visibility and help it deserves.  Thanks in advance.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements